Tank Scratches

Max125g

Reefing newb
Recently obtained a nice 125g 6' tank. Just finished refinishing the stand and it looks amazing. When i first saw the tank i noticed a few scratches, or quite a bit actually. I figured i would just buy some Cerium Oxide and buff them out myself.

Cerium and material just arrived today and i was excited....

Well i have been buffing the same 8x8 area for over a hour and dont see any difference.

Does anybody have any experience using cerium oxide? Did you experience my same frustration and 0 results?

Regarding scratches. How bad will they show when the tank is filled and lighted? are there any tricks to "hiding" them? I am not worried for my guests because they will be focused on the contents, but rather myself. I am afraid some scratches will drive me crazy over the next few years.

They shouldn't bother you much, the only real problem you may have with them is if algae grows inside the scratch, you're pretty much stuck...
I've got some scratches, and so far I barely even notice them.

Regarding scratches. How bad will they show when the tank is filled and lighted? are there any tricks to "hiding" them? I am not worried for my guests because they will be focused on the contents, but rather myself. I am afraid some scratches will drive me crazy over the next few years.

I feel your pain man, I got a handmedown tank from family and I didn't even think about scratches when I was first getting into the hobby. Now I sit and look at them and it despises me b/c I see all these pictures of beautiful scratch free tanks, and I wish that I could have just gave up whatever money it would have cost to buy a brand new 55g tank xD! and your right, it only really bothers me...

Anyhow, I hope you get some good advise, and if anything at least you are aware of it before its full of inhabitants >.<!

Yea, im torn on what to do. Just spent another 45 mins ish buffing the same area. No results to speak of. Im working with a 3" felt bob in a 8x8 area. Even if i did have something to show for the past 1.5-2 hours, i still have all 6' of the tank left to do :(

Im also impatient. Been helping my buddy set up his 90g (we got live sand while scuba diving over the weekend and purchased a few fish/live rock from a local store) and its just driving me nuts. I want to stare at rocks and sand also!!!!!!

Its only a matter of time before i cave. I do still have 3 mini projects left including the molding on the cabinet, improve overflow system to increase flow, and refugium. I may give it another whack at some

Even with a new tank you'll eventually get some scratches. It's just the way it is. I guess it depends on how bad the scratches are.

buffing glass takes lots of time, and lots of care... i've done a few windshields througout the years, and if you get it too hot, or do too much in one spot you never do get the distortion out of it... or break it... been there done that....

personally, i've had the best luck on glass scratches with Glass Polishing Kit Pro - Glass Polishing Kits - Rhodite Glass Polish

patients, but not hours..... i've never used this on a tank, but i think it should work... i've used it on both tempered and non tempered glass with good results...

you've got scratches, hell theres a BUBBLE in the front glass of my 210..... aint gonna buff that out.....

Back