Tank shape

Redfoot

Reefing newb
Just been for a trip to my "local" aquarium store to view a few tank setups, the type I preferred were the taller/square rather than the longer shaped tanks, I was just wondering is one more suited to SW than then other?, I guess the biggest downside to the more square shaped tank is they are not suited to bigger fish, is that the only negative? it would be for a reef setup so I'm thinking lights may be an issue too?

Last edited:
I think the longer tanks are better suited for fish, it gives the fish more room to roam and spread out. The taller tank seems to be for smaller fish with a coral setup. My 2 cents might not go with others but it seems logical? I just went from a 3' to a 6' tank and my scopas seems to be much happier

My tank is 23" deep and has about 8" of wood fancy crap above that.. I can not reach the bottom and that is a huge pain in the ass. so, I'd consider that... I have to use an arsenal of grabbing tools... and they all suck for handling, coral, rocks,... etc.

..1st criteria.... be able to reach the bottom!

I have a cube and I do like it. Lighting is easier. A lot of units cover about 2'x2' which is my tank dimensions, so it's perfect. The height of the tank does make getting to the bottom more difficult and aquascaping can be a little more frustrating. I wish I had more open sandbed area for my LPS. All in all I am very pleased with the cube though.
If you are wanting tangs or large fish, a cube probably isn't for you.

Rectangle shaped tanks also give you more surface area than a square shaped tank. More surface area promotes gas exchange, which is a good thing. Also, as stated, it makes keeping some of the larger / more active swimming fish possible

I had a 45g tall, and it always looked so sparse because I couldn't stack the rocks too high without risking an avalanche, and I didn't want to glue them together. And reaching the bottom is definitely a PITA.

having to use a stool to get into your tanks not bad having to use grabbers to get to the bottom of the tank is a PITA.

Back