Tank Shipping - Help!

parrotchute

DUSTOFF MEDEVAC
Okay, so my tank is about ready to ship, along with its stand. It's a large tank, 72 x 27 x 18 and the total weight is around 900 lbs, crated.

Here's the problem:
It's getting shipped to a freight depot 50 minutes away. I don't really know what I need to get it to my house. I have some friends I can use for help and a pickup truck, but I think it might even be unmanageable for all of us - what do you guys think? What kind of equipment do you think I'd need?

Or should I try to get a moving company to do it? I think that might cost me around $1000 though! (but at least everything would be insured in that case)

Thanks!
Alex

Is the tank glass or acrylic? I'm guessing glass due to the weight. Un-crated a glass 125 gallon with roughly the same dimensions only weights 206 pounds empty. Would it be possible to take it out of the crate to move into the pickup truck?

It's glass. Hmmm, why would the crate weigh so much? The stand may be pretty damn heavy, it's steel with a wood veneer.

I emailed them a follow up to see what the uncrated weight would be. I'm assuming it would be possible.

Has anyone moved a big tank & stand before? Any advice?

I've moved a 125 gal before in a pickup truck, with no problems...it was only my brother and I, and we carried it to the 3rd floor. You may need two pickups due to the stand being heavy and large also, although I only had to use one. Good luck with the move.

two of us moved my 150 in and I bought it from my lfs and moved it in my truck. I would think it would be no problem. I think your problem would be the size of the packaging trying to get it to fit on one.

i had 3 friends help me move my 240 in and that took a bit between the 4 of us. if you think you need some help hevey duity glass moving suction cups can help a lot, when i ever have to move my 240 ill be getting some

Hehehe.....I helped with my 125g :D My hubby and the lfs employee loaded it into our minivan, then my hubby and bro in law brought it in the house, but when I had to bring it outside to rinse, and to load it up onto the tank stand, it was just me and the hubby....heavy as f*ck. I think it would've been awesome to have 2 extra hands.

Try getting some heavy duty straps to put under it to help you lift maybe.

Yeah, I'll try to find some straps! I can't waiiiit, but once it gets here I'm going to have TONS of work to do. I'm NOT a DIY person, so I think the plumbing will be a challenge.

Back