Tank Showcase...

Ryan

Reefing newb
I saw in the tank showcase that someone had a blue tang with a couple of clowns and some more fish. The tank was 58 gallons. I thought blue tangs needed more space than this however the blue tang looked very small. Is this OK because he has quite a reef also and seems like it's pushing it for space. Just curious because I saw a tank of baby blue tangs yesterday and was wondering if I could put one in my tank but up the road probably find him a new home because of his size? Let me know.

55 is the minimum for most tangs, and that's if they are juveniles. It would definitely not be a good idea to put one in a 29. Blue tangs are also very difficult to keep alive if they are small, they are extremely prone to getting ich. A lot of times, they will infect the whole tank, and will keep getting ich over and over. They are quite sickly fish. The larger you buy them, the healthier they tend to be, and the higher the chance of survival.

Thats what I heard when I got my blue tang due to my anxiousness to have an amazing tank. I got my blue tang from a petco as a tiny little thing, it got icky and was sick for a while, then recovered to full health. It's now 4" or so and healthy as an ox (is that a saying?) Still in my 50g. I was going to upgrade to a 125 or 150 when I moved to school, which I'm on my way to doing right now, made a pit stop to get shwasted along the way for tonight. Left my tank in the hands of 2 friends with marine aquariums and my grandmother for cleaning... The landlord wouldnt let me have anything over a 50g, and it wasnt worth tearing down and re setting up to keep the same tank when its doing so good. A small tang could do fine for a year or so in a 55g or so, this summer I am forced to upgrade though, which is a good or bad thing, I dont know? But my tangs have been doing fine for the last year anyways, thats the drunken moral to the story I guess.

Shwasted?Guess thats a northern word for sh*$ faced,HAHA.
Some people like those blue tangs.They kinda go like clownfish do.Every thinks they got to have Nemo and Dory in their tanks.

Fot the record yote, I live in idaho. My state touches borders canada. And I have never once in my life said the word schwasted. So I think its just a cory thing.

Back