Tank sprung a leak!!

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Well, I woke up to a nice sized puddle and come to find out that there is a leak at or near the bottom of the tank. I have to drain the water out, take everything out of it and now I wonder if these tanks have any type of warranty? It's a 40 gallon breeder Aqueon tank. I purchased it at Petco and have only had it for about three months. I really don't want to take a chance of resealing it only to have it leak again so I would rather go for a replacement if at all possible. Would I have to go through Petco or Aqueon? Unfortunately I don't have the reciept so that poses a problem also. I've all but given up on this hobby :frustrat:

I believe Aqueon is made by All Glass Aquarium. I know that for the original purchaser, if you have an All Glass Aquarium on a AGA stand they have a pretty good warranty against leaks

Um... not sure. Really not even sure it came with one. I don't remember having one. Basically it was just tank and a couple things on the glass but don't recall any kind of warranty card.

I bought mine at Petsmart and after I pulled off the front paper I saw that you had to cut it and mail it in, there wasn't a seperate "card" per se. But, mine had all kinds of disclaimers about how they have to receive it within 10 days for you to be covered. Of course I didn't do it, cause I WANT to be on top of stuff but sometimes I just fail. I cut it out and stuck it in a junk drawer and there it rots.

Sorry to hear that...I'd try talking it up the the store and telling them, and see what they do. They may help you out since you only want an exchange and not money back. Good luck.

Well, called Petco and was told as long as I brought a bank statement showing I purchased something there around the day I told them I did (7/17/11) that I could exchange it for a new one since coincidentally they are having that $1 for a gallon sale now. I'll definitely be paying closer attention to this one and sending the dang card in this time ;). Now I get to start a tank all over again... Ugh. At least it's the weekend.

Gott he new tank and jsut as I remember there isn't a registration card. What there is is a sticker you peel off and on the back reads their warranty terms. What it says is the store you buy it from is supposed to honor the warranty pending you had the tank on their stand as Northstar24 stated above. 15 to 55 gallon tanks are coverd for five years, anything bigger than 55 is lifetime. Anyways, it was a no questions asked exchanged which I like and hopefully this new one doesn't give me the same problem. Now to replace the sand and fill it back up.....

Filled up, everything is hooked up and running as it was but I'm minus one fish. My Lamarck's Angel, which would get too big for the tank anyways, died in the tub I had them in during the exchange. Other than that everything looks ok so far one day after returning home.

Back