tank stability

lilduud

Reefing newb
has any one... especially us in california and the surrounding area... had any REAL problem with theyre fish tanks and the recent earthquakes.. or any from the past haha.
specifically with a 55 on a stand... because the center of gravity is so high and the tank/stand are so narrow has anyone has a full collapse or tip over...
rockfall? sloshing? cracking? haha anythin?!?

i would strap the stand to a stud in the wall at the least. i have never had this problem with earthquakes. i guess since i have never felt one.

I never had issues with my 55 for the 6 or so years it was up and running. And as of yet no issues what so ever with my 120.

what part of california are you in fastrd? any big quakes? theres been so many lately and im just about to set up a 55 and its such a paranoid though but i can just visualize it exploding and flooding my house from upstairs...
should i keep it downstairs? haha

In Southern California we have to think beyond what quakes have hit in the past because experts say we are due for a massive quake that will do some serious damage. I want to be prepared. I think I am going to secure my stand with a strap when I put in my next refugium. And I would like to anchor my rock structures, but I don't know how I would do that.

Last edited:
yea thats exactly what ive heard hens my concern... they keep getting bigger and bigger and are slowly moving up the fault. it does feel way more intense upstairs though so im considering setting it up downstairs which is kind of a buz kill that it wont be in my room.
how are you going to strap it though? like nail straps into the wall? haha

Back