tank stand question

salty324

Reefing newb
I have a 55 gallon tank and stand and canopy. I was looking last night and I thought about making it mobile. Would anybody tell me if i mounted six caster wheels under the stand if this would cause any problems or would it be a complete disaster??

with the wieght of the tank full of water i would not do it. it can tip very easy and or break the wheels off because of the weight

A 55 weighs 625 lbs. without rocks or sand. Pic a good spot and keep it there:D

I'm sorry but there is just no way your going to move around a 55gal aquarium without some serious issues. Sure it can be done but not cheap and easy like ya think

my 20 is on wheels.... but i realize thats a lot less than a 55... and its fresh, so theres no rock to weigh it down.. hehehe

thanks for all your guys help. I work 7 -13 hour shifts and then i'm off 7 days in a row so i will be on the next 7 days then i have to go back to work. so if i don't reply right away i'm not being rude just working

some of those casters can support tons litteraly. but then you start getting into lb/sq inch problem with your flooring. your surface area is going to be reduced to probably no more than 4 square inches of floor space. may not be good for the floor. that is a lot of weight. think of it like this...55 gal = ~700lbs maybe depending on rock. divided by 4 wheels im guessing 160 lbs for one sq inch on the floor. that is the equivelent of an average mans body weight in jsut a sq inch on the floor. that is a lot of pressure. i dont think the stand could take it unless is is reenforced with steel in the frame. wood would just rip at the fibers and like was mentioned if one wheel broke the whole thing is comming down more than likely.

Back