Tank stand

Massey

Reefing newb
Hey guys! This is my new little DIY project, a wood tank stand. I built this using my 30 gallon stand as a reference but added a little bit different styles too. The dementions are 48Lx 18Wx 29H. The center posts are both removable with just 4 screws (I know the pics are not up with the posts yet) I have plenty of room in the bottom for a sump and refil tank. I am going to be staining it with a red mohagany stain, and installing a power strip and small chemical shelf underneath. ENjoy the pics for now I will post a few more later after I finish the work I can do tonight.

DSC_3790a.jpg

Here is the start.

DSC_3792a.jpg

Another view.

DSC_3793a.jpg

sides almost done.

DSC_3794a.jpg

Another view of the stand,

DSC_3795a.jpg

Full view of work in progress.

More pics comming later.

Massey

Ok here is the almost finished pics. I ran out of wood so I could not finish the last door. The tank inside will become the filter and I have room still for another 10 gallon refill tank.

I hate to tell you all this but this is going to be a freshwater tank not salt. The next big tank is going to be salt but my wife and I agreed to combine all the fresh tanks (4 total) into one big tank and then work on a coffee table tank.(I will post the build on that when I start). Anyway here are the pics.

DSC_3796a.jpg

DSC_3797a.jpg

DSC_3798a.jpg

DSC_3799a.jpg

DSC_3800a.jpg

DSC_3803a.jpg

DSC_3804a.jpg

I am hopfully going to stain it tomrrow and build the sump.

Enjoy

Last edited:
*cry* you guys done love me any more *sniff*

OK really I was planning on making this salt when my wife and I put it on layaway but due to a few factors in our life right now we decided to make this one fresh. What we do know is that she is going to be stationed in Japan soon (VERY soon). What we dont know is where our little boy and me will be, we are either going to Japan with her or moving to WA state. That is where the delema comes in. If we are going to WA then I can take the tanks with and just move them 4K miles. If we are going to JP then the tanks will all go into storage and we will need to find new homes for all that live rock and fishies, and we all know how much $$$ it takes to get all that stuff. So till we know what we are going to be doing we are making this one fresh. The next big tank it going to be salt no matter what!! I made her promise that I could build the salt tank soon as we found out what the Navy is doing to us. Ok enough of my up-in-the-air-I-wish-I-knew-what-was-going-on life story.

My 30G salt tank is still doing great! my clowns are still alive after a year now and I have added a couple of damsels to the tank too. My salty fish are;

2 percula clowns (first fish in the tank)
2 zebra damsels
1 blue/yellow tail (there was a pair but one jumped out of the tank :( )
1 Cleaner shrimp
1 turbo snail
3 Hermit crabs (I never see these guys but I know I put them in the tank)

Well good night everyone.

Tank stand looks great. I know how it is to be in limbo. Done it for 20 years. Thank goodness that part of my life is over.

Sux that ya gotta jump around but hey thats life..

Back on subject.... You are one hell of a carpenter, that stand looks great...

Thanks Mik!

:) wait till you all see it now. I stained it and I am just waiting for it to dry enough to bring it back inside. I will get pics and put them up as soon as I can.

Massey

I could do a discus tank but for now I think I am going to do schooling fish. A little less money and not that big of a deal if I end up in japan. We are also going to be planting the tank, which is new to both her and me too.

Here are the pics of the stand after staining. I cant put it down on the ground yet it is still a little tacky. I could not risk leaving it outside so it will finish drying in the house.

DSC_3806a.jpg

DSC_3807a.jpg

DSC_3808a.jpg

Massey

I am going to build the canopy after I get the tank up and running. My hood is brown while the rest of my stuff is black, plus I was to add some lights for plants later on and I will be needing those lights hidden too. I will keep you all informed about the hood I am going to try for a very similar style.

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Back