Tank transfer question

AmberSunrise

Reef enthusiast
I just wanted some opinions from anyone who has done a tank upgrade/transfer.

I have set up my new 55g about 5 days ago, it has some new sand as well as a few scoops from each of my smaller tanks and also almost all of my live rock in it already. Many snails and a few crabs ended up hitchhiking and have been scooting around they all seem to be perfectly fine.

How long do you guys wait to start adding the fish to the new tank? I am testing the water but not seeing any cycle type readings which I dont really expect since I am using my established rocks and sand. Or should I force a cycle using shrimp?

I dont want to rush it but I would like to move it all and break down the other 2 tanks.

Would you suggest being more patient and waiting or would you say its safe to start the transfer?

I would force cycle tank, because if you add the fish and the tank is ready, it will cycle anyways. But with all the live rock you have in there, I would bet you dont have long cycle.

I don't think you'll have a cycle, even if you place some food in there...if you used all your live rock from your other tank, and placed the same fish in the new tank, the bacteria on the live rock would be able to support the fishs' bioload. So I think you'll be fine, especially after waiting for 5 days. :)

+1 Toolman with the water. I just upgraded from my 150 to a 220 using 200lbs of established live sand & 280lbs of established live rock. I gave the live sand a good rinse with r/o water, added it & the rock to the 220. I then waited 3 days for the water to clear & added all fish & corals. IME, enough live rock/sand per gallon will almost instantly cycle any tank 55 or larger. I've upgraded 4 times with various medium fish (4-6") & corals w/o any ammonia spikes. I think that if you have 60+lbs of est sand & 80+lbs of est rock in your 55, you should be fine.

Last edited:
Back