Tank Update: Gross

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
Bad news. I think I have Red Slime and I have this 'stringy' junk attached to all by pumps and powerheads.

The worst part about the Red Slime, is that it's in a HORRIBLE spot; In my over-flow! I can't even get in there to take it off, siphon it out or even add any flow there!

The other stringy stuff doesn't look hair algae. It's tan-ish colored and is getting everywhere in my tank. Any clue what it is?

Here's some picks of the two.

Red Slime
Coralline006.jpg

Coralline005.jpg

Hair stuff
gross002.jpg

gross001.jpg

Could be diatoms or hair algae. Its all part of the new tank syndrome. Just ride it out. As far as the slime algae, be glad its just in your overflow and dont worry about it until it gets into the main tank. Its very common for a new tank and everything that is happening is completely normal.

+1 all of the above. Cyano algae, green, diatoms, hair algae, etc. are all normal part of new tanks (even mature tanks at times). Just keep up your water changes to prevent it from growing.

Wow, your powerhead is freakin spotless compared to mine and I've already gone through the diatom/hair algea stage... mostly.

Looks like just diatoms to me,in the overflow.
Have no idea on the stringy stuff,but I dont think its algae.

Just new tank syndrome...If I can recall, did you use tap water when you started your tank, if so them that's the reason why you are having different algae blooms, it will eventually go away...just takes time and good water changes with r/o water.

Keep with it, it will get pretty discouraging and you'll think it won't go away..it will! Keep up with water changes & flow..

Just new tank syndrome...If I can recall, did you use tap water when you started your tank, if so them that's the reason why you are having different algae blooms, it will eventually go away...just takes time and good water changes with r/o water.

Nope, RO/DI. I'll do a water change before the end of today. Dear Lord, my water bill is going to be astronomical... :(

Update!

I'm in the middle of doing a water change (wet hands) and I found some fun sttuff! (I hope!)

There these little bug like things...They look like "potato bugs", y'know those brown armadillo things that roll up into a ball. Anywho, I don't know if there alive or not, not much moving. Just thought I would tell you guys!

lol made me laugh when you said hair stuff. i had to squint to see it you have no idea. i will refrain from my tank pics. you dont want to see what hair stuff really is :)

Update: The Cyno is gone! I dropped the overflow intake pipe down a little so the water would have to travel farther down, hence making more flow in the overflow chamber. (Well, I hope that's what did it)

I still don't have any coralline though... :( My plan, when I get my paycheck, is to grab me my test kits and start preparing a DIY supplement that I found here. Maybe that'll jump start IT. I WANT CORALLINE EVERYWHERE!:frustrat:

Back