tank upgrade questions :)

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
Hi :D ok Just got 125gal. fish tank, what I want to do is combine my two 55 gal. fish tanks into the 125. question is how do I go about moving everything with out killing anything? Plus I dont have enough sand in both tanks to fill up the 125.Also not enough live rock . would it be a problem to add as I go? Any help will be great I really have no idea what to do :(
Thanks
Rose

i would buy some sand and make sure to rinse it well. add your rock first. its better to set your rock on the glass then add sand to prevent rock slides. if you add some water and add the livestock you should be fine. then slowly add some more water and fish. it will basically end up being like a waterchange. its not a problem to add rock as you go. just make sure its cured.

I would add the rocks, fish and corals all in one day. Just be sure to acclimate them like normal because you are going to introducing some new water. Also be sure you have spare water on hand in case you get a mini cycle.

Leave behind the sand and stuff. If you want to re-use your sand besure to clean it really well. Stick it in a bucket and run water, stirring the sand until the water comes off clear. I would however keep a gallon or so of uncleaned sand to seed the old and added sand. This will help prevent a mini-cycle.

Then I would add dry rocks right to the tank, it will become live in just a few weeks. Also dry rock doesnt need to be cured. My favorite place to buy dry is marcorocks.com.

Sorry to threadjack, but I think this is a good question here:

Do you recomend that 1/4" eggcrate on the bottom? Like the frag rack stuff...if so, where can you get it?

Thanks, Im done. :)

Make sure you share pixtures!

i dont personally see the point of it, just makes it hard for the creatures that are suppose to stir your sandbed up get around.

But its called lighting crate and you can get it at the hardware store. I usually ask if they have broken pieces in the back they can just give me.

Oh, okay. I thought it was bad to have rock on the bare glass and thought you could maybe cut it to the general outline of the rockbase. NanoReefer made me think of it.

I use it on the bottom of all my tanks. I prefer to have it there because I feel like the rocks are less likely to slip on the eggcrate then on just glass.

Back