tank upgrade

sicklids

salt water dummy
i am fixing to upgrade the 55 gallon to the 120 gallon. my question is: if i use the water in the 55 gallon tank along with the sand and LR, can i use RO/DI water to top off the rest of the tank and miss a cycle?

i am moving and am gonna set the 120 up, but dont really have anywhere to keep my fish. could i move the water, rock, and sand to the new tank and still be able to keep my fish alive?

its possible that you could miss a cycle since you are using everything from your old tank plus some new water, but since youll be using over 50% new water you could still have a cycle

You are basically doing what I did when I upgraded from my 75 to the 125.
How far away are you moving? Same town, or hrs away?
Assuming the move is less than a 1 hr drive, you can take all your rock out and put it in tupperware bins with some water just to keep them wet. Take all your sand out and wash the crap out of it with a garden hose. Yes, use freshwater and wash it thoroughly. You do not want to move a sand bed and not clean it. It will lead to a full cycle if it's not cleaned. So wash the sand and put it in a tupperware bin. No need to put any water in the bin with it.
Now, have the new 120 filled about 3/4 with fresh RO/DI saltwater. Transport as much of your old water as you can and use it to fill the tank the rest of the way. Put in your washed sand. Put in your liverock. Add enough of your old water to fill the system. Put in your fish. You should have a fulled cycled tank with no ammonia spike or no mini cycle.
Also, if you have a sump or any other filters, keep them wet and hook them right into the new system.

Good Luck :)

Just do like Capt suggested and your livestock will be fine.
Thats basically how I changed my stuff over from the 55 to the 75.

I went from a 55 to a 120. I just moved everything over and never had a cycle. I didn't even wash out my sand. I made up my new saltwater first in a trash can. Put a heater in it. I put all my stuff in bins and plastic garbage cans or anything plastic that was clean and could hold water. After everything was out of tank I moved the sand over to the bigger tank used the bowl method to add water till about half full then I put in my LR on PVC because I knew I was getting a sand shifter goby. Added the old water put in my corals the fish were added last. I took me a whole day. Lots of work. Next day everything was alive and adjusting. Never lost any livestock. Never had a cycle.

I went from a 55 to a 240, used all my old rock, but used new sand and new water. I skipped a cycle that way, so I'd say you probably would too.

awesome! im using a couple of 5 gallon buckes and a 55 gallon plastic drum. i was really stressing the move. its in the same town, less than 10 minutes from the house. sounds like its gonna be a fun filled day when it comes!! i will post pics of the procedure in my tank build thread so you guys can see the drama unfold! haha!!! good thing i got six daughters to help out here eh!!!

Just remember to move the tank last and set it up first.
Now get to cracking that whip on them young uns:D

Back