tank upgrade?

Beta173

Reefing newb
Ok I am about to start my tank upgrade. I got a 37 gal. that I will be moving into my new 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump.

Here is my quesion:

Would it be ok to setup my reef sand and base rock dry then as i get it how i want it before I add water, live sand, live rock and start the cycle?

I think if I did it that way it would make aquascaping alot easier.

another question how long should it take to seed my sand and base rock?

Do I need to add anything besides some of my water change water, existing live sand, and some of my existing live rock?

also what will the cycle be like? cause i should have no live rock die off cause my existing rock is cured.

I dont see that aquascaping dry would cause any problems.As long as you rinse the sand and base good before hand.

Nope,you dont have to add anything else.Just the saltwater.

Only your tank tank can answer the other 2 questions..

So if im reading this right your transfering it a bigger tank? If so when I did my 75 to 110 i aquascaped the damp rock, added the sand and then filled it with water. I experience a slight mini cycle. My fish were fiine, but a couple corals perished in the cycle. Everything looked good for about 2 weeks and then it looked like crap for about a month. Now its better. Everyone told me it was new tank symdrome. NTS.

Would it be ok to setup my reef sand and base rock dry then as i get it how i want it before I add water, live sand, live rock and start the cycle?

Yep, it's perfectly fine to aquascape first, then add water.

another question how long should it take to seed my sand and base rock?

Usually a few months. But that also depends on the quality of rock you start off with.

Do I need to add anything besides some of my water change water, existing live sand, and some of my existing live rock?

Nope. You should be all set.

also what will the cycle be like? cause i should have no live rock die off cause my existing rock is cured.

You probably won't see much of a cycle. If you do, it'll most likely be small and not last long (a mini cycle, it's called).

Thanks everyone, I figured it would be ok, I just like to run stuff by the pros before I start. My LFS sucks as far as reliable info goes.

Yote: how should i rinse the base rock and sand, just soak it in RO water or blast it with a hose? we are on city water so it is not horrible just has alot of chlorine.

The base rock,I'd just use the water hose.That way you get rid of all the dust on it.
If your using dry sand.Just put it in a 5 gallon bucket and fill half way up with water.Then use your hands and stir it good and pour the dirty water out.Repeat the process untill you get clean water after stirring.

Back