Tank Vent thread!

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Just spent hours doing tank maintenance and haven't made any real progress - so I thought I'd start a thread where we can all just vent about our stupid tanks!

The current bane of my existance is my skimmer. Too big for my sump, which will always be too small because my 90g stand isn't 18" in width inside to fit a decent sump. Skimmer keeps getting clogged with rubble and chaeto, and the powerhead I added for flow doesn't give enough to move the detritous around across the entire sump. So I went to use a more powerful powerhead, but can't get the blade to spin despite massive cleaning. Ugh!! I know what I need to do to fix it (thought think the powerhead is toast), I just wish I had more to show for my 5 hours of work! Oh, and I got stung by a bristleworm in my sump while I was moving rubble around, and cut thumb on my skimmer lid. Fantastic day. lol

Who's next? :D

Last edited:
I HATE U CYANO!
2nd dosing to try to extinguish my cyano issue. 1st was meds, 48 hours no skimming or light. Then skimmer on, mini water change due to skimmer getting out meds. Then later a 20% water change and more sucking it out with turkey baster. 3 days later "today" did a 10% water change with turkey baster sucking out every little piece i could see. Nitrates now under 5ppm after spiking to 20 and having the first major cyano attack Skimmer off, lights out another 24hrs and hopefully after that water change things disappear.

I had a series of floods a few weeks back. One night a pump broke. A few days later a hose fitting cracked. The next night a different hose comes loose. A few days more and somehow the protein skimmer got jammed up and started dripping water out. As a bonus the sump got low enough for one the the pumps to run dry. It got so hot the casing melted around the impeller and cracked. The crack shorted it and it fried my surge protector. Not the cheapo crappy one either, no, the expensive one.

Also I don't normally call for the extinction of species, but this cotton candy algae I got can go to hell.

Why are clowns so freakin stupid?!

First I tried two little percula clowns. That didn't work out so now I tried a larger snowflake clown. And still! They get put in a 200g tank, yet they all decide to hang out in the very top left corner where they then proceed to get sucked up into the overflow. So every few hours I'm fishing a clown out of the dang overflow. Or they make the trip all the way to the sump. :frustrat:

I'm probably exchanging the snowflake, unless he becomes unstupid. No way I'm paying that much money for a fish that doesn't want to be in the main display. :grumble:

I HATE U CYANO!
2nd dosing to try to extinguish my cyano issue. 1st was meds, 48 hours no skimming or light. Then skimmer on, mini water change due to skimmer getting out meds. Then later a 20% water change and more sucking it out with turkey baster. 3 days later "today" did a 10% water change with turkey baster sucking out every little piece i could see. Nitrates now under 5ppm after spiking to 20 and having the first major cyano attack Skimmer off, lights out another 24hrs and hopefully after that water change things disappear.

Sounds like you need to research and try the algae scrubber method... just saying

Why are clowns so freakin stupid?!

First I tried two little percula clowns. That didn't work out so now I tried a larger snowflake clown. And still! They get put in a 200g tank, yet they all decide to hang out in the very top left corner where they then proceed to get sucked up into the overflow. So every few hours I'm fishing a clown out of the dang overflow. Or they make the trip all the way to the sump. :frustrat:

I'm probably exchanging the snowflake, unless he becomes unstupid. No way I'm paying that much money for a fish that doesn't want to be in the main display. :grumble:

BAHAHAHAHAHAAH!! Maybe it's the buyers that are stupid for buying a fish called a CLOWNfish :mrgreen: Yeah, that would be me. Mine also hangs out in the overflow, right by the friggin' gap. I put a plastic mesh cover on it, but when that things comes loose sometimes, yep..mr. stupid gets sucked in.

My larger clown hangs out at the over flow at night.. but has never gotten hung or gone through it.. and I don't think she can... or she would of.

do you have a hostable anemone for them? that would stop the hanging out in other areas. Since i got mine they stay around them at all times

They might host the nem or a Hammer, or they could just continue hosting the overflow lol. Clowns are odd and stubborn little creatures.

Clowns will be hosted by any thing that their fishy little hearts desire. The above fish all seem to like overflow the best, but I have seen clownfish be hosted by powerheads, GSP, bits of algae, other fish... anything really.

...odd fish but hearty .....and the first thing a new little boy or girl see's and gets excited about. ..that one thing makes them special to me...

I just love my little clowns, it makes me happy to see them every day I get home from school. They always come to the front of the glass to see if I have anything for them

My kids love my lionfish the best :D

Although the boys love anything poisonous lol.

My tank woes are currently water changes, I dont mind doing them, I am just having a hard time doing them lol. My big belly gets in the way. That and my clown has an issue with the new garg I have. She keeps dragging it around, can they be glued? or do the need to be sewn?

Back