Tankedchemist -- pico contest

whenever I feel comfortable putting them into the little tank. I thought about keeping them in the big tank's sump, but I'm afraid I'd never find them again because they're all so little! I'm going to give the new livestock a couple days to settle in, then I'll go pick up the other dudes.

not to intrude into your business, but what temp are you keeping your tank @ ? I am worried that you will have trouble keeping the water cool enough for the catalina's, while keeping it warm enough for the sexies. I'm sure you have it figured out, I was just curious.

Yeah, catalina gobies are from the coast of California and require temps in the 60s or low 70s at the highest. They are not reef fish.

Last edited:
tank stays at 73, which is near the top of a catalina's range and the lower end of shrimp's range. One of my LFSs has kept a full reef tank with 2 catalinas in it in the mid-70s for the past 2 years, so I'm basing my method on their experience.

Here's my update for December. Most stuff was closed up because I had just cleaned the tank... will try to post more pics later this week.

_DSC0217-e.jpg

_DSC0216-e.jpg

_DSC0218-e.jpg

I don't stop by the pico threads often but, your tank is looking great. I'm really jealous of your goby too, I wanted one of those so bad when I first got into the hobby until I realized it was a colder water fish.

thanks everyone. I'm having a lot of fun with this tank.

I don't stop by the pico threads often but, your tank is looking great. I'm really jealous of your goby too, I wanted one of those so bad when I first got into the hobby until I realized it was a colder water fish.

I've wanted one for a long time, too, BL. I have to very carefully balance the temp to keep it in range for the fish without pissing off the corals. so far, the magic number is 72-73. Also, the whole thing is kind of an experiment, because I've discovered that while liveaquaria lists most species as being happy at 72-82, that's just not true. Sexy shrimp, for example, don't like it as cold as 72, so they graduated to my big tank...where I'll never see them again lol. But the pom pom crab is far more active at 72 than the one I have in my big tank (76-80F, depending on season) tank has ever been... so, it's a learning experience.

I have the tank sitting next to a drafty window, which is covered in three layers of insulating material, so I can remove layers to make that corner of my house colder when I need to... between that and controlling the room temperature carefully, it seems to be working. I tried 3 different heaters with very little success... the things just aren't sensitive enough. oh well. I can't wait for summer, so I can keep my house at a more normal temperature at night... 75 is too high for me! oh well.

we have those little gobies around the monterey bay area which is why I want a tank with them :) they remind me of home... and we have water at a nice chilly 52 degrees on a WARM day! lol. but 72 eh? i may just try a few out!

Hannah, it's a wellsophyllia brain that I rescued out of my mom's tank. They're so picky. It was turning white/clear in her tank, while my brain (which is of the green, red, and purple variety and much bigger) was doing fantastically in her tank, but terrible in my big one. This one is turning pinker every day, which is cool to watch. In that photo, it was shriveled up and pissed at me for changing the water, which is why it looks odd. I'll post another later on of it open.

Sharkie, one of the LFS here has kept 2 catalinas at 74, in a reef tank, for the past 2 years, and they're active and doing well. So that's what I based by idea on... we'll see how it works out in the long term.

I dunno, I got them from some dude in California....

Actually, they're usually more open than that... but George (that's the catilina, like Curious George... cause he's curious...)... had just sat on the zoas.

There's 17 polyps now, BTW, wade. When I moved them into the pico, about a month and a half ago, there were 14. So yay, growth. :D

Back