Tap water filter - anyone tried this one?

That filter runs very slow, it's not a reverse osmosis unit, and the replacement filter cartridges don't last long at all (they only last for 20 gallons or so I think). The replacement cartridges are very expensive. You'd be spending tons of money on them vs. buying an RODI unit and only having to replace the filters once a year.

I used to own one. I know. :(

I'm trying to spend very little money if possible. Any recommendations on an RO unit? I don't know anything about them.

I'm looking at the 2nd one down at this site: RO/DI Systems

Does this just hook up to any faucet? And does it include a container for the water to be stored? I think the price is reasonable if this is all I need to get it working.

75 GPD RO/DI 5 Stage Standard System - English

I found this at bulk reef supply and am considering purchasing it. Anyone ever heard anything about that company?

The major question I have is where does the water get stored? Do you have to buy a tank separately? You'd think they would try to upsell the tanks better on their website because I can't figure that one out.

Bulk Reef Supply is a wonderful company. You store the water in whatever container you want. Some people buy a reservoir for the RODI unit, but most people just fill a bucket or trash can that they get from the hardware store or Walmart.

Gotcha, I was hoping so. Thanks for your help. That was my deciding factor in buying this. I'm looking forward to having an RO system... just gotta get paid on Friday before I purchase it.

I was looking for an inexpensive tap water filter to make water changes and top offs easier. Anyone ever tried this brand?

Tap Water Filter | Reverse Osmosis Filters and Deionizers | Reverse Osmosis Filters & Deionizers | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

Do you think this is very similar to RO water? I feel like it would be so much cheaper this way.

I used this filter in the past and it works just fine. In the long run, however it may be more costly than buying an RO filter. If money is the issue, you might try getting water at some super market where they sell RO water form a machine like Whole Foods or Wal-mart.

Folks i am new to all this, however the units that every one refers to as ro units are just fancy filters. I work for south santa rosa utilitys we are a water distribution and collection system in northwest Florida. R.O. systems require lots of pressure around 200-400psi to push the water through the filtration membrane. Thats not to say these units dont work but u con buy inexpensive fiber wound filters. Contact your local water company and ask them for a copy of thier latest water samples. D.E.P. requires sampling be done out of house taps you will then find out what type of dissolved solids are in your water and what you need to remove

No, you do actually want to use the fancy filters. You want around 0 ppm of TDS for the water you use in your aquarium. Fiber wound filters are not going to get the job done right.

yes around 0 ppm of TDS is what you want but im willing to bet you are not getting 0 ppm out of these units not the ones that mount under your sink or sit on the counter the fact is you have to have high pressure but a filter system is better than no system. me i just buy sea water from the gulfarium its cheaper than walmart

yes around 0 ppm of TDS is what you want but im willing to bet you are not getting 0 ppm out of these units not the ones that mount under your sink or sit on the counter the fact is you have to have high pressure but a filter system is better than no system. me i just buy sea water from the gulfarium its cheaper than walmart

Yeah, that's kind of the point of them. A properly functioning RODI unit should get your TDS down to 0 or 1. Everyone that owns an RODI unit should also own a TDS meter so they can know if their unit is working.

I use water at 8 to 10 TDS all the time and its fine. But 10 to 30 TDS and you will start seeing alage growth. It doesn't take much tds in the water to cause algae growth especially if you have phosphates in your tap water. Carbon will NOT take phosphates out.

Back