Tap Water Filter Recommendations?

PringlesLFE

Mmm...Salty.
I'm looking currently for a tap water filter for my tank before I get any corals and was hoping for some inexpensive recommendations.

hmm, 100 bucks is the only thing that comes to mind when i here water filtration. That is an RO/DI unit on ebay or elsewhere and probably will only come with 3-4 stages. 4-6 stages is recommended.

Since you only have a 20 gallon tank you could prolly get buy with a straight DI cartridge type. I had one a few years ago and it puts out the same quality water as an RO/DI unit but the cartriges they use are only good for like 30 gal and cost around 30 bucks after 60bucks for the first unit. Figure this that you can buy RO water or distilled water at Walmart for less than a dollar a gallon and your tank is only 20 gallons 3 bucks a week will do your water changes and top offs and it will cost like 20 bucks to fill the entire tank. For really long term a 130-140 investment will lower your cost per gallon down dramatically. Prolly around 30-40cents a gallon but I haven't changed my filters yet so can't tell you exact.

So basically it's do you mind picking up a few gallons of distilled from walmart? Do you want the ease of just turning on the faucet a few hours a week?

:frustrat:

lol I kinda figured. Has anyone had any experience or comments about the API Tap water filter?

Yep. Same as the guy above. The replacement cartridges only last for maybe a couple dozen gallons of water, and cost almost as much as the filter itself. In one month, you will have spent the same amount of money on replacement cartridges than if you had just bought an RODI unit. The tap water is so bad here in Tucson, that I could see the filter media changing colors as soon as I hooked it up to the tap. That tap water filter is just $$ down the drain.

i bought my ro/di for 100 bucks...100 gph and ill tell you what I love it not only for the water I can put in my tanks but for drinking too...really easy to install and it is so worth the money

Back