Target feeding corals? How much? How Often

Namor

Reefing newb
well, the title pretty much says it all, I am making my wish list of corals and starting to do my research, if the literature says that a particular coral likes to be target fed, how much and how often should you do that? Do all corals LIKE to be target fed? Mushroom corralimorphs? anenomes? Just curious. Is there a best food out there?

Your question is too general.Some corals don't need any special care except for lighting.Some that need target feeding depends on the species and how often depends on the species too.Also,some like micro foods like plankton while others prefer larger meaty foods such as krill,mysis etc.

For the ones you listed:
Mushrooms-just moderate lighting is all they need.
Anemones-depending on the species I suppose but most all prefer larger meaty foods-krill,chopped table shrimp,silversides etc.Of course most need intense lighting.

some corals need only light, while some need only food. Anenome's thrive with both
Anenomes you want around 8 watts per gallon and 6 month established tank

i feed my corals coral frenzy and DT photoplanton 3 times a week as wel as t5 ligthing and other trace elements and calcium.for my anomone that im trying to keep alive because of bad light ing i feed it mys shrimp and squid once or twice a week.

sun corals- no light but have to be target fed

shrooms-low lightiing, some photoplankton

zoas- low to moderate light, coral frenzy,and DT

hard corals -high light,photoplankton and some times coral frenzy.

leathers-moderate to high, coral frenzy and DT

LPS-moderate,coral frenzy and sometimes DT

anomes -very high lighting,and squid and shrimp

coraline algea- low to high lighting

feather dusters/tube worms -DT

also dont forget the calcium,green,idine,trace elements, molybdenum,and strntium

Everyone else is right. Some corals like big chunks of meat, others need to be target fed microplankton. Some need to be fed daily, others never. It depends on the coral.

send us a list and we can tell you. There are not many corals we, collectively, haven't cared for. If you do target feed, twice a week seems to be fine.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Back