TDS Meter

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
A few of us need to pick out a TDS Meter. So which one would you sugest? In line or out? Which do you use?

Outline is the easiest. It's just a little probe that you dip into the water. I got one off of Ebay for around $25 and it works just fine. You don't need to use it that often, just every month or so to make sure your RODI unit is working properly.

Inline ones are more expensive and you have to plumb them into your system. I don't think they are worth it.

The inline one I saw on ebay was only around 25$, and it had just little openings to put inline between the product RO water and the inlet water. I'm not sure how easy that would be, if it was made for a specific unit im sure it would be super easy, but since they are all different I dont see how they would have the right size fittings... It would be nice to see your input and output water with the flip of a switch. But until I hear from someone that has used an inline one I think I'll wait to try it.

What one do you have from that page? That inline one is the exact same one that is on ebay for 25ish and a few bucks shipping. Is that the one your talking about?

I have the inline one - I can't vouch for it's accuracy as i have nothing to compare it to, but the 'Input' reasding tells me the water coming in is full of dissolved solids and that the 'Output' has '000' coming out - so if nothing else it makes me happy :-)

It's very easy to fit if you use the right tubing (standard stuff) and it is not specific to any brand - you just cut the input and output tubes then insert this into the gap.

But the input for mine is somewhere around twice the size of my output tubing, or does it go in the waste water tube and the RO water tube? I guess those are the same size. And would you ever really get a TDS of 000? Anyone else confirm that? I guess with a de ionizer you will get more, but my friend hooked me up with a bottle of this really good water. V*O*S*S Water from Norway, glacier water then RO. that a TDS of 22. I know water for drinking shouldnt be 100% pure, but how accurate is the meter if your getting 000 tds? Anyone else get that?

It connects to the tap water supply and the output (for me an RO/DI unit). Both are the same size.

The question is, if it did show 22 what would you do?

I monitor it so that I know when to change the filter / resin - do I'm looking for an increase - I guess I just hope it is accurate enough to show me when things change.

Back