tds reading

.018 whats? as in, what units does it say? ppm? ppt? I haven't seen a commercial TDS meter that is accurate to that many decimal points for the typical units, which are ppm...

So are you saying your TDS meter reads down to the thousandths of a ppm ? As in 0.018? Something's not right. Mine, and every other 1 I've ever seen, only reads as low as 000 ppm. That's not to say they don't exist, but they definitely aren't a common unit and they must cost way more than a regular TDS meter.

it is not 0.018. As I said before, there aren't commercial TDS meters available with that kind of precision. My guess is, if you read the instructions that came with your TDS meter, you'll find that that is 18ppm.

In my opinion, 18ppm is too high. Flush your RO unit (ie, run the water so it doesn't go out the good water tube, it only goes out the waste tube) for several minutes, then collect a new sample and retest. If that doesn't fix it, it's possible that you need to replace the pre or post filters, or even the membrane itself.

That tapwater has very high TDS.That maybe the best your unit could go which 18ppm isn't great but not bad either.My tap runs 150ppm/0ppm after the unit.

maybe you right (reeffreak) that is the best i can have having the well water up to 800 is doing is job

Last edited:
Considering the water was 800 before the RO/DI, 18 is very acceptable. If your unit only has 1 DI cart, you may want to think about adding another to drop the TDS closer to 0.

Yote, not sure 2 RO filters inline would work. The 2nd wouldn't have the pressure it needs.

I agree with what others have said. Your tap water is super high, so your unit may be performing as well as it can. 18 is not bad -- here in Tucson our tap water has about 400 to 500 TDS, and generally I change out my membranes when they get to be about 10% of that, so 40 to 50 TDS.

I think Larry had the best advice.If you want zero then dry adding another DI or another unit that has one or more stages more then you have already have.Still,when all has been said,I would still use what you are are getting.

my TDS meter reads 265 in and 3 to 5 out. What would be the reading when you would change filters? What is the the top TDS you would say is acceptable?

Anderson,you will probably get different answers from everyone.My tds is zero,once it creeps pass 10ppm then I change the filters out.

Back