Team Seahorse Contest Deco

So, I've been doing research for this tank for over a year. Dwarf ponies need live enriched baby brine shrimp 3-5 times a day. So far, I've been experimenting a bit with timing hatches and enriching bugs and I'm trying to design a system that will be efficient, easy and healthy for the horses. This is what I've come up with for now:

5139382801_e12437e292_z.jpg

the jar on the left is holding brine shrimp eggs and an airline. The other two jars will be for enriching the hatchlings. I know I can refrigerate them for up to 48 hours so I'm optimistic that I'll only have to hatch 2-3 times a week.

I built the stand and I'm going to cover it with tile and make a stained glass panel for the front so you don't have to look at the jars and wires.

Also, I'm thinking this will be a planted tank. I've got mangroves ordered which is why the tank is in the sun and why the rocks are placed so high to the top of the water. I know this will cause algae problems and with an acrylic tank I really don't want algae problems. Hopefully I can fill it with snails? I don't know, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. And, I've got some macro in my main tank I want to add to this tank but my main tank has aiptasia and aiptasia will KILL dwarf horses. Anyone know how I can sanitize the macro to be guaranteed aiptasia free?

Here's a couple more pictures:

A better view of the jars:
5139382195_088dae0dac_z.jpg

I'm using regular quart sized canning jars. I've removed the center metal lid and replaced it with filter mesh.

5139380685_051c5ef4e4_z.jpg

And, finally, here's a shot of the sun shining on the tank:

5139381645_16277d5e3b_z.jpg

C

Looking good Catherine. Will Seahorses eat copepods? I was thinking of doing a refugium with dwarfs in it. Good luck with the feedings. I hope you find a successful way to make it work.

Looking good Catherine. Will Seahorses eat copepods? I was thinking of doing a refugium with dwarfs in it. Good luck with the feedings. I hope you find a successful way to make it work.

David, it's me, I'm using the husband's computer.

Dwarfs will eat some tiny copepods but they can not survive off them. If they could, it would be very easy to keep these guys. I would not recommend putting dwarfs into your refugium unless you are ready to hatch and enrich brine shrimp DAILY. These guys are a major commitment. You're married to your hatchery.

C

Looks great so far!
Anyone know how I can sanitize the macro to be guaranteed aiptasia free?
Can you put peppermints in with dwarf seahorses? Or can you put them in with the macro and let them clean it out for you before you put the horses in?

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Just got an email from Richard, Tampa Bay Saltwater order here FRIDAY!

:^::^::^::^::^:

Can't wait for my goodie box!

C

Thanks C.
P.S. You should change your husband's avatar to a mad scientist or something.
Or a male version of yours. Just a silly thought.

Hey, I just realized, I'm the official winner thus far! I need to enjoy this feeling because I won't be wearing the "yellow shirt" much longer!!!

:nanananan :nanananan

images

Give what up???

I was saying that I was in first place by default because I was the only one with a wet tank. In the Tour de France (bicycle race) the daily leader gets to wear the yellow jersey so I got to wear it for the first night. Once other people started wetting their tank I had to give up the first place yellow jersey and now we're all fighting for it. That's why I posted the yellow shirt with everyone grabbing for it.

C

I put in some Ulva macro (sea lettuce) and some Gracilaria. The amphipods will eat the diatoms I've got starting. The macro isn't staying, just helping get things going. I've never been able to keep the Gracilaria alive, so I'll see how it goes.

C

Oh, Tampa Bay Saltwater Macro, How do I love thee???? Wow, the macro I got in last night looks so cool! Stuffed it in the tiny tank and it's looking like a thick stew of macro in there. Did a water test today and everything is going as expected. I am sure that my tank will not be ready for the dwarfs before the Jan 1 deadline so I'll play along 'till then. Took some pics but have to leave for my concerts, hopefully; I can get them up tonight.

Did my first mini-mod of the tank. I pulled all the crap outta the HOB filter and replaced it with LR rubble and some chaeto. Next mini-mod will be to pull the little pump out and stick it in the DT. These two mods do not use any additional materials so I'm pretty sure it is in keeping with the rules for the contest. Took pics, will put them up tonight.

This is way fun! WooT.

C

Back