Team Seahorse Contest Deco

I'll do it in copper, it's just the patina which is easily done and easily undone if it does draw too much attention to the doors instead of the tank. I'm covering the rest in rocks which helps keep the attention on the tank. Hopefully, I'll have it finished tonight!

C

+1 BJ
We haven't seen the actual stand part yet. She's keeping us in suspense!

I did put pics of the stand up, it was forever ago:

5139382801_e12437e292_z.jpg

I need the stand for 2 reasons. First, I'm depending on the natural light from the window to grow my macro. Second, I have my shrimp breeder and enricher in the stand.

I had a bag of freshwater gravel I picked up from Wal-Mart and I'm in the process of gluing them to the sides and around the stained glass. It sounds weird but it's not bad. It is cheap and I didn't want to give up any more glass to this project.

Hopefully, I'll have it all done by this evening!

C

Ok, I have it almost done. I still have to install a frame around the doors to make them hang right and to keep them from opening on their own. I can't put that on 'till my rocks dry which will take a few days.

I aquascaped today so my water is cloudy. I added a bunch of frags from one of my gorgs.

5210314056_785255031f_z.jpg

5210313710_220408537d_z.jpg

C

The stones were the easy part, you cover the surface with a thin layer of wood glue or tile adhesive and then kind of pour the rocks out. You spend a little time squeezing them together to fill in the holes. Normally I wouldn't do such a cheesy finish but in the context of the counter that it is on, there are lots of plants, plant hangars and wood block plant holders, that the rock treatment fits in. Also, it kind of looked sandy/ oceany to me. The whole thing was put together with scrap wood and maybe 10.00 worth of supplies so I think I got my monies' worth. I'll take some shots of the whole counter tomorrow when the sun is up.

Thanks! Glad you like it!

C

Got a coupe shots of the stand this morning and you can see it in context. If you look close at the side, you can see a couple little glass seahorse pendants I put on the side.

5211273591_578f30977b_z.jpg

That counter is where I make my bread, you can see the scale (for weighing flour and yeast) and a bit of the marble kneading board. On the window sill is some basil, a little glass panel my daughter made when she was a kid and some of my mangroves I'm trying to grow in a jar. The staghorn fern is from my Dad's house in Floria.

5211874538_cc1b1e1756_z.jpg

For the stand I wanted something that looked nice but didn't take away from the tank because that's the real star. I'm a little worried that when I get the brine shrimp breeder, the light will make the glass stand out too much. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

If the light stands out too much, you could cover the inside of the doors with white wax paper. That will diffuse a lot of the light, giving the doors a soft glow

Back