Team Seahorse Contest Deco

If the light stands out too much, you could cover the inside of the doors with white wax paper. That will diffuse a lot of the light, giving the doors a soft glow

You are very smart, Hannah. The procedure glass artists use in that situation is to use a piece of frosted plexiglass. Hopefully, I won't need it.

The stand is NOT a part of the competition so I get no points for this, it's just a fun project!

C

Eeerrrr, well while i appreciate the complement, it comes more from experience than cleverness. I got really really into lighting design for theatre during highschool and we used diffusion gels to even out really bright lights, or to mellow out colors. Ill see if i can find some pics of stuff i designed, i think you would really like it.

here are some: The first link is to my masterpiece. The rest are other shows i designed, but nothing could beat the Tempest, it was magical.

My Photo Gallery

Aladdin 2006/2007 season
(this one is still pretty fricken cool! and my favorite play we ever did)

A Lie of the Mind Thespian Troupe 1096

Beauty and the Beast

Here is the show i stage-managed as well: Thespian Troupe 1096 Fiddler on the Roof
while technically i oversaw everything, i still spent most of my time helping lights out.

I loved doing lights, it was my art form

A couple days ago, I started upping my greenwater dosing. I think the combination of that and the mangroves not living overloaded the system and I'm getting red slime. Here's some pics:

5218105383_41af4d7d1c_z.jpg

5218105797_381597ee21_z.jpg

I upped the dosing to simulate the bio-load of the dwarfs and the enriched BBS that will be added. I'm thinking the only things I can do is to look into that chemical nitrate stuff or I can mod the tank.

I'm now designing the water flow system that will knock me outta the contest.

C

With your specialized livestock I think you're going to have to do just that. Modify the tank. :( I think the enjoyment and satisfaction of raising those little buggers would be better than winning anyway!

I had some stuff that looked just like that growing in my tiny tank for a bit, but it was only growing in the high flow areas. I just rubbed it off, added a snail and a hermit and it went away.

So, the other day, I was going to stir up my sand to get the red stuff off and I noticed that where the red goo was, there was also a bunch of little amphipods! That's what I was totally after. I got tons of the little buggers in there. Since I don't have anything in there that is alive, save a snail and a micro hermit, I decided to let the red stuff go and see what happens to my pod population. My pod population is definitely growing and they really love the red. I'm still dosing pretty heavy with my greenwater and last night I added a few spirulina enriched, dead, brine shrimp. Today, I noticed that the goo is backing off a bit. Maybe I can create an equilibrium with my pods and goo? I've got some more mangroves, sprouts this time, ordered and a ton of snails on the way. Hopefully, I can get my ecosystem in check so when I add the ponies everything will level off. Oy, wish I knew what I was doing!

C

perhaps the red slime was largely from the die off of the mangroves? and now that those nutrients are used up, it's dying off.... or your other macro is growing so well that it's using up more nutrients.

So I was reading over my notes last night for this tank and I totally cracked myself up. So, I put a ton of nutrients into a tiny tank, fill it with macro so there is very little water flow, stick it in a brightly lit window and then..... get nuisance algae!

I've got my mod designed, it uses a tiny pump and tiny tubing. I have a tiny pump, but I may just drill a hole in this HOB filter and see if I can use it to move the water. I'm hoping to put together a dosing system that will draw from my brine shrimp breeder, located under the tank in the stand, then flood the deco with BBS. After a given amount of time, the "flushing" system will take over and basically replace about a third of the deco's water. I'll have it turn on at an interval of 4-6 hours which will be about an hour after the BBS are added. I'm working on a filtering system for that so I won't suck out my pods. The macro I put in the deco originally is doing really great, much better than I had expected. I'm adding a bunch of snails tomorrow and a bunch of mangrove sprouts.

I hope to have everything assembled this weekend and debugged by the end of the month or mid January. WooT!

I'll clean up my drawings and post them soon.

C

So complicated...I noticed today a pod the size of my thumb nail swimming in the water column, biggest thing I've ever seen, and hundreds of little ones all over the inside of my glass...I'm still amazed they survived being on the back porch in supposedly dry rock for 2 months.

Got a FTS this morning with the sun shining on the deco:

5255764861_2be18e2ae4_z.jpg

All in all, I've got 12 different types of macro in there. I'm really excited that you can see, on the bottom left, a tiny little red root growing out of my mangrove! WooT!

I also picked up a blue shroom hitchhiker, you can see him sitting on a rock near the middle.

I'm really digging how this is coming together. The new snails are taking care of the red, which is nice. I've got 3 more different macro's coming in and I'm adding some sponges. Going to thin out the gorgs a bit and probably move that blue shroom outta there.

C

Back