Teddy Bear Crab

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey,

So I have one of these little bastards in my tank and I am out of ideas on how to catch him short of taking all the rock out. So if anyone has any suggestions on ways to bait it out I would be very greatful.

Thanks!
Tom

I've heard of someone using a piece of shrimp tied to a string to get them out of the tank. I would think about he hooks on to the shrimp you could lift him slowly out of the tank.

I assume he comes out periodically and you can see him, hence the reason you know you have one?
If so, I use a pair of 24" long stainless steel forceps for all my critter removals. Just be patient and use very slow movements... until you strike like Mr. Miyagi.
I pull out crabs and mantis shrimp this way all the time.

Crabs can be really stubborn, hanging on to the rock with their free claws. You might end up pulling claws off and he gets away. But chances are he'll probably die anyway.

Thanks for the tips, I have tried to use tongs but the crab but he never comes all the way out so as soon as I move the tongs in he books it back under the rocks. Could I use shrimp or something to get it to come out more so that I can grab it?

I had one of these when I was in st pete bought some live rock form a store and he came free... He ate and destroyed nearly everything before I knew what happened.. So the only way I was able to get him was to remove the rock he was on, then I flushed the rock with RODI water till he popped out. I was so angry with him that I threw him in my bath tub and let my cat have some fun. That's one crab that I will always cringe at hearing the name of!!

Back