Teds 45 gallon mixed reef

Ted

Living one day at a time
Just mucking about...45 Gallon non drilled mixed reef, Sump and refugium with Skimmer. Return pump, skimmer and overflow are from Aquatraders. Light is Current Orbit Marine led. Two Hydor Koralia Evolution 600 gph for flow. Additional flow and surface agitation is provided by a Tetra power filter, this also gives me a easy way to run carbon or Chemi-pure easily.One Purple Dottyback, a colony of Frilly Mushrooms, CUC

Attachments

• photo(24).jpg
    photo(24).jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 562
  • photo(25).jpg
    photo(25).jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 490
  • photo(26).jpg
    photo(26).jpg
    22 KB · Views: 515
  • photo(27).jpg
    photo(27).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 517
  • 040.jpg
    040.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 365
Last edited by a moderator:
Oh by the way he did have this a freshwater set up. He bought it set it up bought a :pooh: load of fish and everything died because it wasn't cycled. He got disgusted tore it down and it sat in his garage for a few years. I know it never had any chemicals used in it. So should all be good.

All the new toys are in the mail......:bounce: sump, lights, pump, skimmer, drain line, return line, heater, overflow.......I hate waiting on UPS :grumble:

so the sump/fuge is suppose to be here Saturday. All the rest of the hardware, lights pump, skimmer. heater, plumbing lines, overflow have a ETA of Wednesday. I am nervous about getting the sump into the stand....I am thinking that I will need to take out the middle support to get it in and then reinstall the support. Also was thinking of painting the inside of the stand white. I was thinking that it might be brighter for the refugium. or does that really matter. Plan on cleaning the "new" tank tomorrow. Just dont want to drop it really need a extra person to help carry it. Anyone have a extra person they can send me? :scratchch

I have been looking forward all day to getting the sump in....checked the tracking on FedEx and either I looked at it wrong or it was changed to Tuesday. I picked up some Aiptasia RX yesterday and nuked some aiptasia I found in my soon to be scuddled two other tanks. My daughter was helping and she freaked a little when she saw the aiptasia move then melt into nothing. She was telling me she felt bad for them...:grumble: Then I pointed out that we kill all the fleas on her dog when they come over from her mothers does she feel bad for them.. She said "no" I told her its basically the same thing..Except aiptasia are harder to get rid of. :D

Think I'm jumping on board to watch your build. Can't wait for ya to get it up and running. Thanks for the help about the hob refugium and everything else. Hoping to get them soon for my $100 build. That'll put it a lil over but if you say it runs like that it'll be worth it. Thanks again Matthew.

no problem at all. I am getting more excited about this build each day. Moved the tank to the back porch so I can do a good clean out and water test tomorrow. Plan on painting the back as well if everything goes well. Tuesday sump should be here Wednesday lights pump and plumbing. :^:

Sounds good Ted I understand the excitement. Sure up just upgrading my filtration but still super exciting because this is my first sump. Well I hope the tank passes the water test can't wait to see more shoots of the build.

Well I am on a budget and I have used this company before with no problems. This is the lights coming Wednesday Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting I have 150 watt MH pendant on another tank I got from them three years ago and have had no issues. :D found out that the tank is actually a 45 not a 50. I was going on the info from my brother...No biggie still will be nice. Looking at mainly softies and some zoahs.

Last edited:
More progress made tonight. The old 10 gallon contest winning tank is no more. Took it down and scrub all the LR with a new toothbrush. Trying to get off as much as that dang bubble algae as I can. I figure the new tank will need some emerald crabs because there is no way I got everything. After the scrubbing the LR is in the corner pent staying wet and happy until all of it gets relocated to the new tank. Still a long way to go but making progress.....The new tank will be located on the now empty space that the 10 gallon was on.

Attachments

• photo(33).jpg
    photo(33).jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 495
  • photo(34).jpg
    photo(34).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 485
  • photo(35).jpg
    photo(35).jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 455
Back