Teds fowlr to reef

ok I am adding two peppermint shrimp and some more snails and hermits today. They are drip acclimating right now. Heres a pic of them in the bucket. I am going to put 3 hermits and 3 snails in the nano tank.

Attachments

• DSC00112.jpeg
    DSC00112.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC00113.jpeg
    DSC00113.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 282
I have been asked a couple of times how well the built in skimmer on my aqua traders hob fuge works. Well this pic is one days skimmate. Seems to do ok to me.

Attachments

• DSC00122.jpeg
    DSC00122.jpeg
    27.7 KB · Views: 299
hehehe you havent seen what i get out of my prizim.. that thing is either empty and just making noise, or overflowing and full of clear water...

I have been having it wet skim. I will adjust it and let it run for a day then post another pic.

Mine doesn't skim really dark either. I figure any skimming is better than no skimming. They aren't as good as a $300 dedicated sump skimmer, but they do work good enough. I don't believe in stripping the water 100% anyway, but thats another discussion.

Ted the tank looks great! I feel a little silly that I've missed this thread. Just rolled through all 10 pages. Nice progression.

Sorry about the coral fund. I wish I was there to help you. You can buy a new HW heater at the Lowes/Home Depot/Maynards for $200 and install it yourself in an afternoon. Would have saved ya several hundred bucks for corals. And the women folk sure do love it when your handy around the house.

As the great Red Green says, "If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy!! Keep yer stick on the ice. We're all pullin' for ya." :Cheers:

Well my cheap ass self has done me in on one thing. The rock that I added to the tank. What I figured was Texas holey rock. I just had to pull it. About one week after having put it in I have been having algae blooms. Well I have increased flow changed lighting etc, etc. All to no avail. So my cheap rock I figure is leaching stuff into the tank. So I pulled it. All I have is my good live rock and the one piece that I put in here that project made. So I figure I have 45 to 50 pounds of good rock. I will just have to add more rock a little at a time when I can afford it or I might go ahead and make some. The stuff project made is pretty cool and I have some ideas of things I would like to try. So this puts me back I figure 3 months or so as far as getting corals in this tank. Live and learn I will have to let the tank just run for a few weeks let it stabilize and see where I am at. :frustrat:

That sux Ted.
Are you 100% sure the rocks leaching stuff?
Well not a 100% however I never have had brown algae and cyno problems until after the rock was in. I tried a phosphate test but with all the brown algae it comes out 0. The rock was getting covered in thick layers of the brown stuff. When I would blow it off with a power head it would come off in sheets. Thats the only rock this would happen to. The fiji stuff I have didnt get the brown crude. So to me the rock must have been giving something off that the algae likes and two the rock isnt porous enough if it cant even hold on to algae that is growing on it. So I pulled it better safe now then screwed later when I add corals.

ok this is what the tank looks like today.

Attachments

• DSC00123.jpeg
    DSC00123.jpeg
    40.7 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC00124.jpeg
    DSC00124.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC00125.jpeg
    DSC00125.jpeg
    41 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC00126.jpeg
    DSC00126.jpeg