Tell me if you've heard this one before...

bigploch

Fan of Water
I am now to the hobby, got a good deal on a tank and threw a bunch of stuff in it...what did I do wrong?

Well I read a bunch of those and am learning from others mistakes. So to that end, thanks. Some of you may know of me if you read the newb forums. Everyone has been helpful and this is a great site for info so to those "in charge", keep up the good work!

I hear pics are appreciated so I'll throw in what I have. (or at least try)

I'm bigploch from Central PA and have been playing with freshwater aquariums with everything from painted turtles and feeder goldfish to my current 45 gal hex with two Jack Dempseys and and algae eater. A friend recently got into the saltwater game and was telling me about these great deals on setups he was seeing in the paper and on craigslist. He found one for me that I could fit in my budget and we scoped the house for a good place to place a tank. After demo of a closet and my wifes gift wrap storage (she's such a sweetheart), and picking up a sweet deal on a tank, I got started.
Reef01.jpg

Here is the hole I cut in the wall. I have a laundry room with a couple slop sinks right there so I chose this spot.
Reef02.jpg

I constructed the stand of 2x4's and attached it directly to the wall. Below the stand is a canister filter and wet dry filter that came with the tank. I bought a All Glass brand 110 tall (48"x30"x18") with a custom stand with canopy, wet dry filter, two 48" t-12 lights, two 175 watt metal halides, external pump, and various plumbing and powerhead fixtures (none of the powerheads worked though) for 200 bucks. I then purchased a 30 gal for a sump, two aqua clear powerheads and 2 300 watt heaters from cl for 60 bucks. I subsequently sold the wet dry and external pump for 100 bucks so for a 160 I purchased 90% of my setup.
Reef08.jpg

Here is a pic of my lights all setup.
Reef06.jpg

Add 110 gals of water and 100 lbs aragonite sand.
Reef09.jpg

Here's the sump pre bubble trap with a Mag 7 for return.
Reef11.jpg

And here is a pile of live rock, a softie, and my first saltwater fishes.

Now she's growing all sorts of algae, some green and some coraline. I had no cycle because the LR came out of a very established tank. I will keep this updated as I add more softies and fish. Maybe SPS and LPS if things go well. Be well.
-bigploch

Looks like a great start. Not a bad deal on your setup that's for sure. I'm sure our mod can move this to our tank showcase forum no prob.

That's kind of weird. I keep reading all of the introductions and the people are asking for pics upon introduction. I add the requested pics and now you say I posted in the wrong spot. I would put this in the tank showcase if I thought that this project was close to ready to display. Anyway, thanks for the input. Kepp em' coming. Any fish or softies you recommend? Budget friendly and very hardy.

You're my hero, I'd love a built-in! Someday, maybe.
That's going to be kick ass when it's matured some, what are your plans for stocking fish and corals?
It sucks to see all those bleached SPS as live rock though...
Great job! Keep us posted

Hey thanks guys! I had the same thoughts about the live rock but I couldn't beat the deal. I have very limited plans on my fish and coral adds as I am still learning and doing research. Any input from the experienced would be greatly appreciated! Wink, wink, nudge, nudge. I have gotten a cladiella and want to get an open brain because I think they are wild looking and I am thinking about a toadstool as a possible pseudo host for a couple clowns to keep my nephew happy (he likes nemo and I think that they are awesome looking fish) if they so chose to host there. Beyond that I am not sure. I have read some conflicting info about what types of fishes will get too large for a tank as "small" (at least I think it is) as mine. What I am afraid of is getting fishes that will quickly grow too big and/or become aggresive towards my corals. I want the corals to be the main point of the tank. AS far as corals go, I need to get my water a little more stable and established with the right mineral balance so I can really get into coral propogation. Still looking into what I need as far as light goes and what else I need to be testing for and supplementing my water with. It seems as soon as I think I have figured out what I need, I read and learn a little more and find out I missed something.

Nice! I envy those that have the room to do a built-in.
The only thing I would have done different would have been to look for a reef ready tank or drilled that one myself. But you got a smokin deal so congrats!

Are you going to section off the sump to include a fuge and protein skimmer?

Yes, I am going to do something. There are many options I have seen, fuge with LR, fuge with "mud", fuge with LS. I am still researching those right now, see what one does what or is more beneficial with what. I am just running a pile of LR rubble and a bubble trap before my return pump, I have a protein skimmer but am holding off for a few months.

Yes, I am going to do something. There are many options I have seen, fuge with LR, fuge with "mud", fuge with LS. I am still researching those right now, see what one does what or is more beneficial with what. I am just running a pile of LR rubble and a bubble trap before my return pump, I have a protein skimmer but am holding off for a few months.

the only thing that i do not have in my fuge is the mud. it keeps my nitrates at an undectiable level.

More pics....
reefdos2.jpg

The pics a bit noisy. I finally get the frame around the tank.
I have a couple of questions though...

#1 Can you tell me what the string like thing is??

reefdos1.jpg

#2 What is this coral? What are some names it may be known as? Not the scientific name. That info is lost on me at this point.

reefdos8.jpg

And #3 here is my cladiella. Does it look healthy?

reefdos4.jpg

Does look good.
I agree with Oscar on the 2nd and 3rd pics.The first looks like it might be a caulerpa stalk.Might be a good idea to flush it.

youre tank looks good. i definitely want a built in, among many other things. i dont know if i missed it but how long have you been working on this system? and how long have you had water in it? im sorry if i just missed this but i skimmed again and couldnt see? and how long in the hobby? id have to say im pretty jealous!

I agree with 1 and 2.The colt isn't completely open but looks healthy.

At first I thought 1 was a bonellid worm.If it doesn't move than I agree it is a runner for some type of macroalgae....either the fern or grape caluerpa.

youre tank looks good. i definitely want a built in, among many other things. i dont know if i missed it but how long have you been working on this system? and how long have you had water in it? im sorry if i just missed this but i skimmed again and couldnt see? and how long in the hobby? id have to say im pretty jealous!

The tank is going on 3 weeks old with the water and LR. I have been into aquariums for about 10 years but this is my first saltwater tank.

Back