Tell me if you've heard this one before...

Pics as promised...
0204091.jpg

0204092.jpg

0204093.jpg

0204094.jpg

0204095.jpg

0204096.jpg

0204097.jpg

0204098.jpg

That's what I got for tonight. I think I've got my fill of fish for this tank. Maybe a clam when mature, hammer coral too. Definetly no more fishes.

Is it me or is it impossible to capture an image of a hippo. My camera won't focus on it. Crazy.

Yeah my wife picked out that one. I bought a 6 line to surprise her because she loves rainbows, then I took her to the fish store with me a few weeks later and she fell in love with that fish. The owner said it would be fine and there would be no conspecific issues. The six line terrorized the crap out of the lubbock for a few days. One day I was feeding and the lubbock was all happy swimming around with all the other fish but the six line was no where to be found. Later I found the crispy six line carcass in my cat's hideout. I guess he got chased right out of the tank and then my cat found it. Moral of the story is when a LFS owner is hurting for a sale, she may blow a little smoke up your ass so you'll drop 30 bucks.

It's all good though. I am happy with the fish I have now. She names all the fish and I believe that one she call Marley as in Bob because he looks all tie dye.

Ok weird thing happened. Standing in my socks only on my concrete floor mixing up some new water. Had cracked skin next to my fingernail from the cold dry weather. Ok not Idaho or Minnesota cold just 20s or 30s F.

Stuck my hand in my tank in my sump to do something and got a slight electric shock. At first I thought it was a burning sensation from the salt, but I tried other fingers and the same thing happened.

My hippo is not doing well, he seemed to take a turn for the worse lately. I couldn't figure out why. This would explain it.

I started turning things off and kept shocking myself. Sounds kinda funny when you write it out. Weird thing was my wife tried it too and didn't get shocked. She was wearing those rubber croc things. I stood on them and it stopped shocking me. Duh. Makes sense. I thought I was really weird for a minute. Or maybe it was my superpower. It shocked her too when she took them off. There goes the superhero theory.

Anyhoo. This all stopped when I unplugged my protein skimmer. Not sure is that was all that was causing it. What do I need to check it? Do those grounding things work. I think I need one.

Did I kill a 50 freaking dollar fish with a free protein skimmer?

I hope not...

Last edited:
nice looking additions. You might need a new skimmer, hopefully you can work something out with the broken one though. I'm the last guy to be giving electrical advise, sorry I can't really help :(

Great article, thanks for sharing Biff. I would think a voltmeter would be a wise purchase just to check before you stick your hand in there.

Wel the hippo didn't survive. His complexion got better but he never started eating again. Way to slowly electrocute a 50 dollar fish. I am hoping the foxface doesn't suffer the same fate.

Sorry to hear that. that is definently something I'll be checking regularly along with my other parameters not only for the fish but for my own safety as well.

Hey thanks Biff. Large white spot on his dorsal fin is gone. He's eating like crazy. All else is well. Still got a lot of hair algae but the Marine SAT has really slowed the growth. Too bad I am out. I should have bought the gallon. Maybe time for a sea hare. I can take him back to my LFS so it may be a viable option. DO they eat hair algae? My foxface and sailfin algae blenny don't seem interested. SOmeone brought up a good point to me though, if the trash can that I use to store my RO water in is not "food grade", could that be where my phosphates are coming from?? And more importantly how does one define "food grade"?

Why would anybody wanna eat food out of a trash can?I have no idea how you could tell if its food grade.
And think of a sea hare as rabbit.Those things love to eat any kind of algae.

The only thing I can come up with that food grade and made out of plastic are soda barrels. I got two to collect rainwater for my garden.

I am also considering a goby to turn over the sand. A friend has an railway goby that goes through sand like crazy. It's not the best looking fish but very cool to watch. Any suggestions on equally useful fish that look different?

Back