Tell me what to do here (sump?)

Nonfamous

Reefing newb
Here is my sump. Well, a rather poor attempt at drawing it anyway! Chamber #1 currently holds my return pump and 2 Phosban 150's. The bubble trap area between #1 and #2 holds the pump and splitter for the Phosban reactors. Chamber #2 holds my skimmer, sitting on top of a box so its at the correct water level, and a bunch of live rock. Chamber #3 is the drain from the DT. It is set up to hold a bag filter though I'm not using one at this time.

Sump.jpg

This setup works great right now, however, I want to have a place to grow pods as well as for cheato. First question is, do I need sand or mud for the pods? If so, I will need to move my Reactors to the outside of the sump. Easy enough. I will simply put the pump and splitter in the #1 section with my return pump. Placing the sand and LR in the #2 chamber.

I'm also thinking of moving my skimmer to the #1 section and correcting the height with a section of PVC pipe. Am I risking mirco bubbles having the return pump and skimmer in the same section?

In the drain Chamber, #3, I do not have a drip plate. If the drain were hard plumbed it would do the same as it does with the current lid on it. Pour right in! I tried putting cheato in this area once before and it took a beating. So much so that it started to break apart and clogged the skimmer intake for several days. A real PITA to clean up! I am planning to cut and drill a drip plate for this area and place cheato in there. Sound good? Am I missing something?

I do not currently have a light over my sump either. What spectrum do I need for proper lighting? I am planning on buying a cheap light but I haven't found one that will mount yet. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
What about getting a breeder/acclimation box that has its own pump and putting that into chamber #2. All the lighting you need for cheato is a 6500k CFL bulb. Then the clip on light with the metal reflector. Home Depot or Lowes carry both of these. Look at the DIY algae scrubber sticky, the lighting is the same.

Another thought that might be easier to find would be using a HOB filter and using that as a fuge, just add lighting! A lot of the 10g tanks have been using them.

Okay, I've looked at a few setups on line. One thing that is not discussed is water flow. Should I rund a small pump, or will water simply flow through? I'm still planning on putting this in the sump.

Also, should the cheato go in the fugue or in the sump?

Got another question. I noticed today that I have something swimming around in my overflow/drain area. (Aqueon)Tiny little things. Are these pods? If so, why can't this space be used as a Fuge? Maybe add some sand back there and a few chunks of LR to the mix. It obviously will get water flow. And there is stuff living there right now!

There is tons of space back there. Even though it get lots of light I could always add a clip on LED if needed. Now granted, with the standard configuration its pretty deep so growing mangroves might be out of the question. I wonder if cheato could stand being back there? Would it clog up the drain?

What do you think?

Last edited:
If they look like clearish bugs, then they are likely pods. Google amphipod and copepod -- those are the most common types you'll find.

There's no reason why you can't use that space as a fuge. If you want to keep macroalgae, you will need a light. The only warning is that if you have any sort of pumps or drains, you risk clogging them with sand/rock/macroalgae if you have a fuge in the same section.

Most people report that the benefits of mangroves are marginal. Several people on here have tried them and gave up on them. They can be difficult to keep and don't make a difference when it comes down to it. Chaeto is much more effective and easy.

The overflow does have drain in it. It's the standard Aqueon drain though. I'm thinking this area will work for me since in drains from the top not bottom the only thing that could clog the drain is the cheato. I'm working on a solution for that.

So my plan is to add a little sand and a few chunks of my LR back there then dump a bottle of pods in that space during lights out. I will turn off the system for a bit so they have a chance to find a hiding place. I'm doing to buy a small clip on LED and some cheato tomorrow. IF I can solve by drain question.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Oh, judging from the pictures found on google, I have no idea what I have! What I saw looks nothing like either! What I see looks more like VERY tiny fish. 1/32 inch long maybe. I'll take a closer look when I get home.

Back