Temp swings and corals

Jimbo662

Reefing newb
I noticed today that the temp in my 28g nano was up to 82 or 83. I set the A/C to 82 during the day while I'm gone. Is that too warm for corals? I've got a hammer, yellow polyps and clove polyps. The hammer and yellows don't seem to be thriving. They took a hit about a month ago when I realized water had evaporated and my salinity was 1.027 so I added RODI water. They've never seemed to recover and was wondering if maybe the temp was part of the issue.

If your temps are varying over several degrees throughout the day, that will be a problem. You want to keep temp swings to within a degree or two within a 24 hour period. 82 is pretty high -- but keeping it stable at 82 all day and all night is better than having it go between 78 and 82 every day.

Try aiming a fan at your tank, aiming down at the water a bit if you can. This will increase evaporation and lower the temp. I would also definitely keep your AC lower than 82. I keep mine on 72 but I am dealing with the heat from a 250W MH lamp. The fan and AC in combination with a good heater(so the temp doesn't drop too low) will help a lot.

Back