Temperature Drops (Not sure where to post this)

khaotik

Reefing newb
Ok my tank has been doing fine these past few weeks water parameters and what not,

Ph- 8.0-8.4
Salinity- 1.025
Ammonia- 0
Nitrate-0
Nitrite- 0

Bout a two weeks ago I switched all my stuff in my 20 gallon long tank to my 29 gallon tank. I recieved my new lighting for this tank also. I noticed today that my temperatures are taking huge spikes between nighttime and daytime. I know this is normal but what are your guys average spike range. I woke up this morning and my temperature had dropped to 76.4! I was freaking out.

Do you have a heater? What kind of lights did you get?
It was very hard for me when I got my new MH to balance out the lights heating up during the day vs the heater heating it at night...

I have a Marineland Stealth Heater 100 watt. Says its a good heater up to a 30 gallon tank. My new lights are the Aquaticlife Linkable t5's. I got them from Fosters and Smith. I only got one set so I am currently only running two bulbs. These things don't even get hot. I have left them on for twelve hours ( not over my tank) just to see the heat factor. They run so cool its amazing. I just dont know why the temperature drops so steeply at night. I know it cant be to good for the fish.

Also, what do you have your house temp set to at night? Many people have a programable thermostat that automatically drops the temps in the house at night to save energy.

If you raise the setting on your intank heater, to 78, it shouldnt allow your tank to get below that temp. Your tank being a 29 is on the upper edge of the heater. So you might have trouble keeping it warm.

I am going to get a new heater soon. I figured that is was going to need to be replaced. It has kept my temps normal though. We do have some weather dropping to below 15s when normally high twenties to thirties. I figured I would deal with some temp drop during winter months because of the proximity to the window.

The apartment has the worst heating ever. I have base board heaters that do not work very well and heat my place with plugin electric heaters. My thermostat has never worked and don't even think the needle tells the right temp.

Any suggestions on heaters? I do like the fact the Marineland Stealths are fully submersablie. Are they good heaters? I have noticed on mine that the temp setting does not usually match the digital thermometer I have.

I have never seen a heater match the thermometer in my entire life in the fish hobby. Go by your thermometer, and if it is a steady 78-82 degrees that is good. As long as the temp swing isnt more than a degree or twoo, it should be fine.

Careful with those marineland heaters, they work good but I had one just like yours (200 watt though) short out, the light would come on red indicating heat, but it was cold as ice in and out of the water. On a another note, i would do what bj suggested and just make sure the thermometer in the water is reading good, but IMO i dont think the temp swinging to 76.4 at night is going to do to much damage. Just invest into a larger heater say a 150 or two (2) 100 watt heaters. (I would opt for option 2)

Any one suggest a particular brand or ones that have worked for him? Does anybody use a two heater set up? If so how has that worked out?

I still use a marineland stealth pro, I was just warning you with a two heater system you will get more even heat distribution and a more stable tank should one fail. It is a nice security feature to have.

I have only used the Ebo Jager heater for the entire time I have been at this hobby. They are awesome IMO, mine is now 8 years old and has never had an issue.

Back