Temperature issues

Apestyler

Reefing newb
We are having a heatwave in the UK at present and the temperatures in Scotland (usually cold & wet) have soared. I am finding it very difficult to keep my tank at 25c and most days when I come home from work it can range anything from 28c - 30c there are only hermit crabs in the tank at present but I am worried the high temperatures might be stressing them.

I cannot afford a chiller (or have anywhere to put it) as heatwaves only usually last a couple of days in Scotland. Are my temperaturres putting the tank at risk? What tricks other than chillers can be used to lower the water temp? I was thinking of getting a desk fan to move some air around in the room. Thanks is advance!

My tank sometime will run as high as 28c with out any problems. Just put a fan on it and the air going over should cool it. A clip on fan or a big fan in a chair pointed at it should get the temp down.

I am having a heat wave in california to and my tank has gone as high as 86f(30c) to and it is stressing me out.I got my self some big ziplock bags and froze water in them and that is helped some.

Thanks for the advice - I will def get a fan and for emergencies try minireefer's suggestion. The heatwave is now over and the tank is slowly going down 26c (without lights on) 27c (with lights on)

you can use a small frige (bar type). cut two holes in the side and run tubing through it coiled up inside with the ice shelf removed. connect a pump from the tank and just loop it and return. about 40 to 80 dollars here to do it. you can also attach a temp controller to the pump and set the temp you want it to come on, but, remember to not set the frige too cold less the water in the tube freezes and you have a failure. I used frozen two liter coke bottles in my last system and would put one in the sump. anyway recommend you use distilled or ro water so if a leak should develope you will not have to worry about adding phosphates or other stuff to the tank. hpe something here helps. ( forgot to add, if you build a small frige cooler, dont forget to caulk the side wall penetrations with appropriate sealant.)

Last edited:
jhnrb said:
you can use a small frige (bar type). cut two holes in the side and run tubing through it coiled up inside with the ice shelf removed. connect a pump from the tank and just loop it and return. about 40 to 80 dollars here to do it. you can also attach a temp controller to the pump and set the temp you want it to come on, but, remember to not set the frige too cold less the water in the tube freezes and you have a failure. I used frozen two liter coke bottles in my last system and would put one in the sump. anyway recommend you use distilled or ro water so if a leak should develope you will not have to worry about adding phosphates or other stuff to the tank. hpe something here helps. ( forgot to add, if you build a small frige cooler, dont forget to caulk the side wall penetrations with appropriate sealant.)

Thats a good idea and I will definitly consider it if we start to get more heatwaves, however I don't think my DIY skills are up to your grade (from what I've witnessed your very good with your handy work!)

here is some more information just for you to give you a better idea what i was talking about. sorry for the poor quality and cut off of right side text but i think you will get a better idea of what i was trying to say. not a difficult project. i can help you through it if you decide to do it. otherwise just information for the fun of it.
diychiller004.jpg

sorry for the poor quality was trying to transfer from scanner for 1st time and had to size down the pics to up load so anyway maybe the above gives you an idea of the project any way. hope the information is at least fun if not usefull. if you want better information let me know otherwise have fun with the diagrams i posted for you. just remember any system will work as long as the aquarium water circulates through a cool medium and returns to the aquarium. the drop in temperature will depend on the temperature of the cool medium, the size of tubing and amount of flow of the water through the medium and the length of the hoses will all affect the amount of temperature decrease. hope some of this stuff helps. let me know if you need any more.

jhnrb said:
sorry for the poor quality was trying to transfer from scanner for 1st time and had to size down the pics to up load so anyway maybe the above gives you an idea of the project any way. hope the information is at least fun if not usefull. if you want better information let me know otherwise have fun with the diagrams i posted for you. just remember any system will work as long as the aquarium water circulates through a cool medium and returns to the aquarium. the drop in temperature will depend on the temperature of the cool medium, the size of tubing and amount of flow of the water through the medium and the length of the hoses will all affect the amount of temperature decrease. hope some of this stuff helps. let me know if you need any more.

Thanks for those blueprints, I will print them out and have a go at some point!
:)

Must be nice, we deal with 36c-37c every day during the summer of course my house has 5 tons of air conditioning to keep the house at 24c. Good luck on keeping that tank cool.

Back