Temperture Swing

Piggy

Reef enthusiast
I've never had this problem before. My tank has been having temp swings anywhere from as low as 74 and now high 81. I have two heaters. So what I did was when it was running cold I took one of them out of the sump and put in MT. Well that didn't work so well. Was no change. So I took that heater out and put it in a bucket of water to see if it works. Well it only works if you turn it Way up. I only had this heater since summer. It's one of them stealth ones. So I dug out my Theo heater the one I use to warm up my water change water. It works but to well it doesn't shut off when temp is reached. I put in two thermometers to double check temp. They have to be right because the water is very warm to the touch. I can tell some of my corals don't like the temp change. I need to figure this out before I lose them. So what are good heaters. At this point money is not a issue seeing it would cost lots more to replace my corals.

I have a hydor theo to. Brand new and keeps temp right at 80... I thought it was a good heater? Im sure its like anything. You get what you pay for. What about a titanium heater? Also what about a tempertature controler? Arent they supposed to hook inline to your heater so that if one or both stick itll keep you from frying everything? As far as 74 that seems low. but ive been reading and it seems that more people are going with temps around 80 to 82.... just my imo and the wiz kids can correct me if im wrong

I have read about problems with every brand of heater out there. Capt is right, none of them seem very reliable. The ones that do work most of the time tend to crap out after a year or two anyways. Heaters may just be one of those things that need to be replaced regularly, like hydrometers and light bulbs.

Turn your heaters up, power with a controller like the Ranco, and set the controller for a two degree offset from the desired temperature. that will keep the system from droping more than two degrees. I use Ranco controllers on my system. good luck.

Turn your heaters up, power with a controller like the Ranco, and set the controller for a two degree offset from the desired temperature. that will keep the system from droping more than two degrees. I use Ranco controllers on my system. good luck.

Got a few questions. Do you need to get a chiller or can you use it without? Also which one would I need for my tank? My tank is 120 with 30 sump. Are they easy to set up. I really have no idea about them never seen one.

For a little bit more then the price of that temp controller you could get an ac jr w/dc8. You could control your temp and do all sorts of other stuff.

My recommendation of heaters are jager ebos, they seem to work well out of the different ones iv had.

I like ACjr.But I've not set it up to control my heaters yet.But I will be in the near future since winters on its way,and the fireplace tends to let the bedroom cool down quiet a bit.

Back