Tempted to keep a fish tank on the floor

so now I am worried about the amount of weight this will all be. I am planning on the tank being in my room which is on the 3rd floor of a 22 year old townhouse. My 46g with stand was fine and I have a pretty heavy dresser that isn't a problem. I am estimating that my tank filled will be a little under 400 lbs (40g x 8= 320 + glass weight) and I am hearing that concrete blocks range from 30 lbs to 45 lbs each. If I plan on 6 blocks + wood could come to another 300 lbs making my total close to 700 lbs. This is about the equivalent of how much a 90g tank would weight. Do you guys think I would have a problem?

They are definitely more than 3 lbs each. I'd say at least 20lbs+

Update: I have gone back and forth on this so many times and still haven't made any decisions. I started to think how much it would cost to get another skimmer and more powerheads and then buy fish and I keep putting it off, but I just started getting the urge again.

Baby steps Alto, baby steps. We would all quit if we had to think of everything at once. It's too overwhelming. Just focus on one thing at a time, a little at a time and in no time you'll be there.

I have size 13 shoes, there are no baby steps =)

I want to set up the tank real bad but my gf reminds me that I already have two tanks (46g reef and 10g fresh) and that I keep talking about saving money instead of spending.

They are definitely more than 3 lbs each. I'd say at least 20lbs+

Update: I have gone back and forth on this so many times and still haven't made any decisions. I started to think how much it would cost to get another skimmer and more powerheads and then buy fish and I keep putting it off, but I just started getting the urge again.

We must be talking about different types of blocks then. Because the ones used to lay foundations on homes aren't anywhere near 20 lbs a piece. At least the ones we used when I was in masonry weren't.

i think that the confusion is comming from the words concrete blocks, as compared to cinder blocks..

a concrete block is a solid and heavy chunk of concrete in the shape of a block, a cinder block is one where the aggregate(the rock) is heated till it pops like popcorn, and then that is used in the making of cinder blocks, a cinder block is much lighter than a concrete block.

does that help?

i think that the confusion is comming from the words concrete blocks, as compared to cinder blocks..

a concrete block is a solid and heavy chunk of concrete in the shape of a block, a cinder block is one where the aggregate(the rock) is heated till it pops like popcorn, and then that is used in the making of cinder blocks, a cinder block is much lighter than a concrete block.

does that help?

Well…that would make a difference! Lmao!

yea, i dont know if thats the confusion or not, but i figured it couldnt hurt to throw that out there, if it helps, cool, if not, oh well, not the first time.. :)

I picked up 4 concrete blocks from Lowes and it wasn't high enough so I am gonna go back tomorrow and get another 4. I am gonna go to a fabric store and get a piece of black (most likely) fabric to cover the concrete block stand with so it doesn't look so bad. I had another idea of not using a substrate and putting layer of thin layer of red colored paper under the tank which would cause a red glow threw the spaces between the concrete blocks when the lights are turned on.

yea, but, no substrate? hmmm

I know, I know. I have substrate in my other tank and it's cool to have hermits and nassarius snails in and out of it, but it is a pain to clean and get flow the way I want it. I am gonna try it out and if I don't like it I will put it in.

can you take lots and lots of pictures?

to be honest, looks are just personal preference, my concern about the no substrate is the loss of that amount of filtration in the system...

if you can make it workk and you like it, then i say go for it, maybe we can all learn something...

Back