Tempting, but passed....

wontonflip

I failed Kobayashi Maru
I stopped by Petco out of boredom during errands. I sat and stared at their sickly saltwater fish tank...every tank had ich, visible on all the fish. I saw a teeny tiny powder blue tang....had ich, and wasn't as blue as a healthy tang. I was so tempted! It was on sale for like $30. But they didn't have any copper meds. I pointed out to the employee that it had ich, and she says "Oh, it's ok...we have UV sterilizers" which is fine and dandy, but it doesn't get rid of their visible ich problem on every fish. Then she proceeded to poke around all the tanks, lifting up rocks, shaking detritus all over the place, trying to show me the ohter fish :shock: It doesn't help that their substrate is huge chunks of crushed coral. Poor guys. But I seriously considered getting the powder blue, sticking him in a 20g and maybe fatten him up.

Think I should have taken the risk and gotten him, knowing the high risk of it dying in qt? He is a baby.

Wonton, if he doesn't die in your tank, it sounds like he's gonna die at the store or in someone else's tank. If you think you can give him a shot at survival, I'd say go for it.

What's worse? Dying in the ich infested tanks at Petco, under the supervision of employees who don't know, or don't care? Or finally succumbing to ich (if that happens) in a 20 QT tank, being well fed and cared for?

You guys are supposed to say "Let it die there! Muahahahaha!" See, now I might just have to go back and get it Hehehehe.....

Hrm....ok, so if I set him up in a 20g, I figure I'll get water from my DT...what else...heater, powerhead (or would an airstone be better?), PVC for him to hide in,...water for daily water changes (I might just do water changes off my DT so at least the params would be similar). Any meds? They don't carry copper....I figured I'd just set up the tank as a hypo (1.009 right?). I don't mind leaving him in there for a few weeks. I might even just keep him in the sump room, so there's as little activity as possible, except for me going in for maintenance and feeding.

Biff, feel free to move this thread to the Disease section.

I stopped by Petco out of boredom during errands. I sat and stared at their sickly saltwater fish tank...every tank had ich, visible on all the fish. I saw a teeny tiny powder blue tang....had ich, and wasn't as blue as a healthy tang. I was so tempted! It was on sale for like $30. But they didn't have any copper meds. I pointed out to the employee that it had ich, and she says "Oh, it's ok...we have UV sterilizers" which is fine and dandy, but it doesn't get rid of their visible ich problem on every fish. Then she proceeded to poke around all the tanks, lifting up rocks, shaking detritus all over the place, trying to show me the ohter fish :shock: It doesn't help that their substrate is huge chunks of crushed coral. Poor guys. But I seriously considered getting the powder blue, sticking him in a 20g and maybe fatten him up.

Think I should have taken the risk and gotten him, knowing the high risk of it dying in qt? He is a baby.
holly crap i just teared up this is vary sad i would of gotten every damn one of them i could afford. Its sad when places like this have such a disregard for there fish friends...

holly crap i just teared up this is vary sad i would of gotten every damn one of them i could afford. Its sad when places like this have such a disregard for there fish friends...

I know. I wanted to complain, but it won't matter. I'm now taking stock of all my equipment to see about setting up a qt for it, and hoping to give him a chance.. This guy is so tiny. It's maybe an inch long.

Wonton, this is so sad! Please try and save the baby. I'll donate the meds to the cause?

C

LOL thanks cath :) That's very sweet of you! I can manage it. I was thinking of concentrating on just going meds-less unless it becomes absolutely necessary...I'll try hypo and fattening him up....now I'm just hoping he will eat :shock: I'll probably go ahead and order the copper for the just in case (plus for future rescues lol)

I say get him too,i just had my own little impulse buy,gotta love em....,but you would be saving one too....

I'm a guilty impulse buyer :D Just never did a fish rescue...I'm hoping I'm not in over my head. I'll try not to get attached to it, since his chances might not be good.

I'm gathering my qt as we speak! I'll keep everyone posted.

Last edited:
What's even more sad is that each fish you buy from them allows them to purchase more fish, but I want to buy them all anyway. My petco is the same way, every tank is filled with sick fish and dying anemones. Their inverts are always happy though. :grumble:

Last edited:
Oh wow that's small.. the Petsmart's and petco's by me don't carry saltwater fish any more. Just food and other tanks supply's because to many folks complained about there tank's.

Now they just carry fresh water fish mostly goldfish, guppy's and molly's. Even one of my old haunt's Benson's pets they us to have such great fish. Ever scents they moved to the new location and management changed its gone south and now they as well don't carry much for fish friends. theirs only 2 places I have found any well cared for fish friends near me.
Well if you do get the little guy i really wish you the vary best with bringing him back from the darkside.

I agree that Petco" in store " is probably a bad place to start your saltwater stock ....but,i did an online order with them and couldn't have been happier....
Looking forward to how this little guy does,good luck wonton

Yeah, the whole supply-and-demand thing is an unavoidable cause-and-effect.

I'm prepping some water now. If it's meant to be, that lil guy will still be there later. They said he's been there a month.

I hope he is there for you to nurse him back to health and id try and debate the price and based on his current state should be discounted. Some places will do that just to make a quick buck. Instead of take the time and effort to nurse the fish friend back to health.
I can't wait to hear the out come. Best of luck with him if you were closer I'd chip in am help you build a big'ol QT. Just for cases like this and what ever else may come up.

good luck!! I feel for the little guy :( every time I go to our petco I tell the employees how their tanks SHOULD be and that their "uv steralizers" arne't doing anything to help the fish with the way they have the thing setup.

We FINALLY got enough complaints at 2 of our petcos and now they don't carry fish at all. They don't have anyone who knows what they are doing when it comes to salt water. heck, even their freshies are always dead or dying.

i hope the lil dude is there for you and makes it through :) if not at least know you tried your best and he died in a happier place!

see if they will let YOU catch him instead of them chasing him around and stressing him more.

I'm all for saving him too...but to play devil's advocate. Personally, I've never had to deal with ich. (knock on wood). I think I'd have to leave him at the store before I'd take the chance of infecting my other fish.

If I bought every fish I've ever seen that had ich on it, I'd own the Shedd Aquarium.:D

But I also understand love at first sight, so I wish you all the luck in the world with him.

I'm all for saving him too...but to play devil's advocate. Personally, I've never had to deal with ich. (knock on wood). I think I'd have to leave him at the store before I'd take the chance of infecting my other fish.

If I bought every fish I've ever seen that had ich on it, I'd own the Shedd Aquarium.:D

But I also understand love at first sight, so I wish you all the luck in the world with him.

I totally appreciate this thought. It would be devastating to me to introduce a disease to my horses! I think, though, that if you keep it QT'd and take special precautions NOT to allow any contact between the two, wash your hands, clean the tools you use, that sort of thing, if you do that, you'll be in good shape and hopefully save a life of a little baby.

Blue, that would be a science officer, how about Spock for a name?

C

I'm willing to keep the qt set up for as long as it takes. I know that if I do manage to get him through this, that I'll be extremely attached to him, and would not want to rush him to a new tank.

Just called Petco, he's still there. I'm still mixing up salt to put in the DT so I can take the old water and put it in the new.

I totally appreciate this thought. It would be devastating to me to introduce a disease to my horses! I think, though, that if you keep it QT'd and take special precautions NOT to allow any contact between the two, wash your hands, clean the tools you use, that sort of thing, if you do that, you'll be in good shape and hopefully save a life of a little baby.

Blue, that would be a science officer, how about Spock for a name?

C

Yep,just QT and treat and all will be fine...its not hard ...just need "a little patience" ...you can whistle the whole time ,if you'd like:lol:

Back