Tempting, but passed....

Ok, folks...I got him! No pics yet...couldn't find the damn camera, and I wanted to hurry up and drip acclimate him. He actually looked better today....swimming around, not fidgeting, but has a few white spots still. He's laying on his side right now in the drip...but breathing. I read that it's normal for hippos to play dead when really stressed...I'm gonna leave him alone for a while. I'll post pics soon, you damn pic whores! :D

I think this thread needs to be moved to like, the fish section or disease section hehehe

Yay! Wonton the savior!

Ok, I posted this sorry ass picture of the hippo lol It's hard to take pics from above the water, even with the powerhead turned off.

DSC08158.jpg

So basically, he's at least not laying flat on the bottom anymore (which I read was normal anyway when they're stressed or resting). He's taken to sitting on the back of my powerhead, but he's upright, and just chillin', occassionally swimming away when the thermometer gets close to him.

I'm eager to get him eating. I don't think he's touched the algae sheet I've put in here, but I'm just trying to be patient. Thanks everyone for the support!

I'm still trying to get him to eat. He's still just hanging around the powerhead, despite having a big pvc to hide in...but I guess that's good, at least I can see him.

He's cute, if I saw more than the top of him LOL

I still don't know yet if he's nibbled at the seaweed yet though. I keep replacing what's there. Hard to tell if he ate any of it.

I do believe he ate his algae today :D I added some Melafix today as well.

Since he was hell bent on staying behind the powerhead, I decided I'd put the algae sheet right there on top of him. Looks like he had no choice but to eat it :) I looked around to make sure it didn't just break off, and it didn't. It was nibbled on, and only a little bit was left.

Had to do a water change, because the ammonia went up. I just hope he keeps on eating to keep up his strength. I'm going to keep adding melafix daily as instructed on the bottle. It says to then do a large water change I think after 7 days. But it won't matter because if the ammonia is going to go up, I need to keep doing the changes. Keep your fingers crossed!

Ok, so far so good....he ate the algae today, and I put more in just now, and saw him chowing down. I even busted him swimming around the tub, until he saw me, and dashed back to his powerhead :) Also, no sign of the spots on his fin that was there before. Maybe the hypo and melafix are helping.

Yes, there's a big ole piece of PVC in there for him. And last night, I think he's been feeling better since he was finally swimming around and exploring. I'm still hoping he holds up well. Just gotta keep up with feeding and water changes.

Awesome wonton, I just saw this thread and read through it! Luckily for me, our petco that I go to has 2 people that work in aquatics that have their own saltwater tanks, very nice ones too. In fact the petco is converting 1/3rd of their freshwater to saltwater. I have seen the manager yelling at the 2 employees about the tanks not being ready yet, and they just keep telling him, they have to cycle for about 6 weeks or your going to lose hundreds of dollars....

I love my petco!

I pulled an OhNoNemo :D

Ich looks cleared up...didn't inspect his other side though. He's still very shy, but is definitely eating and venturing out more. I had an ammonia spike, so I've just done a 50% water change (hence the wrinkly hands LOL )

small_hippo_hand.jpg

Here's what he does to freak me out....play dead on his side at the bottom of the tub :shock:
hippo_buried.jpg

Back