Tennessee Aquarium

Biertrinker

Reefing newb
Has the club tried doing any activities with the TN Aquarium? Maybe a behind the scenes look at their filtration systems or a husbandry presentation on some of their more difficult species- the sort of stuff normally not open to the public, but something reef geeks might enjoy. Seems to me that a relationship with the aquarium would be beneficial both to the club and the aquarium itself.

Perhaps the club could agree to volunteer at an aquarium event in exchange for discounted memberships? Just thinking out lout.

I did a search and could only find that the curator did a presentation on seahorses- must have been pretty cool.

hey brian, yes it has been discussed having some interaction before. we have yet to organize something. there really is a large difference in what we do and what there type of saltwater systems involve, but it still would be nice. ill look back into getting something going with them, I just worked on one of there boats last week and should have talked to them then. Oh well ill give them a call

Thanks Bryan. I think there could be some great opportunities for all involved.

I was there last weekend and talked to an aquarist. I was surprised to hear that they sometimes use volunteers working with the aquarium's husbandry needs, not just the information docents who explain to tourists that fish swimming upside-down aren't sleeping ;) I would like to volunteer there sometime soon, but I would prefer if I could somehow do so in the Club's name, so as to create a little goodwill our way.

I asked why they had no mini reef section, thinking it was perhaps a policy decision. The aquarist I spoke to said the aquarium was originally conceptualized as a freshwater aquarium primarily exhibiting locally occurring fish. However, they are not adverse to setting up a reef. Different aquarists are in charge of different sections of the aquarium, and can change or add exhibits catering to the aquarist’s interest, and visitor interest. I am not sure, maybe we can influence that?

I know, I am getting way ahead of myself, but I just see great potential here.

Back