Test Kit Question

texreefer

Battle Dwarf
I am changing as many test kits as I can over to Hanna Checkers. However , they do not have a Magnesium checker out yet. They say it "should" be by the end of they year but we all know how that goes. I have used API kits in the past and have not been very happy with them. I hear the Elos kits are good, but have yet to try them. What kits are you guys/gals using ? My main kit needed is the Mag kit. Need a good reliable brand.

Thanks in advance

If its not too late, don't buy the Calcium checker. Its very inconsistent. I can run the same test 3 times in a row and get results that very by 50 ppm. I am a big fan of the Alkalinity checker and use the phosphate checker as well.

For Ca and Mag I'm using the Red Sea Pro kits.

+1 on Alk/Phosphate being the most important (IMHO). Ca/Magnesium really don't vary that much unless you have insane SPS/clam/LPS growth. Alk on the other hand gets burned up real quick just from normal biological action in your tank, and you know about Phosphate...

Magnesium really isn't that important unless it is 'too low' or 'too high'. I think in NSW 1400'ish is normal.

Scott

If its not too late, don't buy the Calcium checker. Its very inconsistent. I can run the same test 3 times in a row and get results that very by 50 ppm. I am a big fan of the Alkalinity checker and use the phosphate checker as well.

For Ca and Mag I'm using the Red Sea Pro kits.

I have used the Calcium checker 3 times so far and all readings were fairly close. I make sure that all air bubbles are out of the vial, and that there are no finger prints on the glass as both can cause crazy readings. So far I have been very pleased with the performance , but will continue to report on the results. Thanks for the heads up though, I have heard that many people a not comfortable or happy with it.

+1 on Alk/Phosphate being the most important (IMHO). Ca/Magnesium really don't vary that much unless you have insane SPS/clam/LPS growth. Alk on the other hand gets burned up real quick just from normal biological action in your tank, and you know about Phosphate...

Magnesium really isn't that important unless it is 'too low' or 'too high'. I think in NSW 1400'ish is normal.

Scott

Thanks for the input Scott. My new tank will be an SPS dominated 8g so I wanted to be able to test anything and everything due to how quickly these little tanks can get out of hand. If it were a large tank I would probably have stuck with the normal liquid drip tests.

Back