Test Kits - Any easy ones?

LongIslandFirearms

Reefing newb
I have been using API freswater kits for years.

Now Im venturing into the saltwater world.

With that said, I purchased the API Saltwater complete kit. Is there an accurate EASY to use product better than AP???

...I've read that the 'strips' are not accuarate.

personally i havent seen one of thoes color changing kits that i liked, i mean if you can tell this shade of green from that one then you can see better then i do, personally for my ph i use an electronic tester, and the same for my TDS, but thats all i've gotten so far, and in the interum i just have to get help to be sure about the colors...

If i had money, i'd buy the big $400-$800 electronic testers thats supposed to do everything we need(or at least more than i would need) but, i dont, so i wont.

I have been using API freswater kits for years.

Now Im venturing into the saltwater world.

With that said, I purchased the API Saltwater complete kit. Is there an accurate EASY to use product better than AP???

...I've read that the 'strips' are not accuarate.

I've found that there are two things that I have to think about when buying a test kit. One is how easy is it to perform the test, and the other is how easy it is to read the results. Most of the better test kits that I've used have been ok on the latter. The former, on the other hand, can vary widely from manufacturer to manufacturer. And to complicate matters more, I've found that there is NOT ONE test kit manufacturer that has a good test kit for every test. My Alk test is from one, my Calcium and PH from another, Magnesium from yet another... only my trates and ammonia are all API but not the strips.

I usually check the user reviews on marinedepot.com or other websites to see which individual kit gets the best reviews... or least amount of complaints.

Like project5k says... probes are really the only easy way to accurately test and you pay the price for that convenience.

API test kits are probably the best test kits for their price range. Most of my test kits are API. I do use a couple Salifert test kits, which are much more expensive, but much higher quality (more accurate, easier to read).

You are right about the strips -- they are not very accurate and shouldn't be solely relied upon. Strips are fine to do a quick check of things once in a while, but be sure to have a dropper test kit on hand to double check against in case you think something weird is going on.

I stated with red sea test kits and really didn't like them. Then I switched to AP! and they are much simpler to use and easier to read. I use salifert for my phos test because I horrible case of algae growth all over my rocks and back wall. I would suggest use what your familiar with and if it seems off. Like my red sea was switch to something else until you find something you like.

API test kits are probably the best test kits for their price range. Most of my test kits are API. I do use a couple Salifert test kits, which are much more expensive, but much higher quality (more accurate, easier to read).

You are right about the strips -- they are not very accurate and shouldn't be solely relied upon. Strips are fine to do a quick check of things once in a while, but be sure to have a dropper test kit on hand to double check against in case you think something weird is going on.

1+ on the API test.

I use API for the basic four, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. I use salifert for everything else, calcium, alk, phosphate, magnesium etc.

I used strips and API for my fresh water tests. Mostly used the stips for general test and liquid if the strip didn't look good or for bi weekly tests. I think with salt water I am going to need to use more accurate tests.

I was drooling over one of those electronic testers the other day. I'm really lazy and anytime I can get a gizmo to do my work for me I'm there.

I have been using API but I am switching to Elos, I think they are more complicated but better results....

If you don't like the test I would look into a Reef Keeper, I want one of those...

Back