test kits?

buckeye

Reefing newb
O.K., my next ? is about test kits. In your experiances, which kits are the most accurate and reliable? There seem to be so many, and of course they all claim to be great! I am wondering for all types; fw, sw-fish only, and reef. I am the type that would not feel comfortable testing any less than once a week (even w/ the fw... at least for ph).
In the past I would set-up the barrel of water, let it airate (w/ airstones in it) for a day before adding salt, or for fw before adding to the tank. Is this o.k. or do I need to change my method? Should I test for anything (other than salinity of course) before adding fw or sw?

Thanks!!

a lot of people (including me) like the Salifert and Seachem test kits for SW. when testing water change water ... you want to test the SG, and temperature. temp is a very important part of the water change process. to much of a variation could cause major stress factors in you fish and corals. i let my water mix for at least 24 hours (after adding the salt) ... sometimes even a few days (because i get lazy).

Salifert are by far the best test kits, BUT they are super expensive. API and Red Sea are much cheaper, and I have had good results using those.

To make water, you should use a powerhead instead of an airstone. Airstones just don't work for saltwater; they eventually become clogged with salt and just aren't strong enough. Make the water up at least 24 hours ahead of time. Before you add it to your tank, test for salinity, pH and temperature and try to get those to match your main tank as much as possible.

I use Salifert for alkalinity, dKH, calcium, iodine.
I use API for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, phosphate.

I test pH, phosphate, iodine, nitrate, alkalinity and dKH once a week. I check salinity daily--and usually top off w/RO/DI water daily. My calcium is pretty steady at about 470--480 and it's going down VERY slowly, so I'm only testing that once a month now.

I been using the API kits for every thing.But plan on trying the Salifert kits for calcium and phosphate at least.Just hate to put that much into a kit too,cause I still have this thing about testing every to every other day.
Once a week just didnt cut it for me.

Mix my water like Keeper and Biff for water changes,only as soon as I do a the change,I start the next batch mixing for the next weeks change.

"I use Salifert for alkalinity, dKH, calcium,..."

is dkH refering to hardness? I know that hardness relates to calcium and magnesium in the water, but did not know if that is what dkH was.

Mix my water like Keeper and Biff for water changes,only as soon as I do a the change,I start the next batch mixing for the next weeks change.

Me too.
I keep about 15g or 20g mixed all the time. It sits in the rubbermaid bin for a week or two and then I'll use 5 or 8 gallons. Then I replace 4 or 5 gallons. I don't keep a real hard count on exactly how much water is in there. I just use a bit and replace a bit. Nothing too complicated. I use a HOB Whisper20 to circulate my water in the rubbermaid bin. I keep a lid on it, and just cut a hole on one edge for the Whisper.

Now that I have an RO unit, I don't even bother with a dechlorinator. I just pump RO water into the bin and then add salt to bring the salinity up. Even put a heater in my bin. I'm gettin' FANCY now!! I'll have to pick up a snooty British accent if this keeps up.

Tea, anyone?

Back