Test Kits

SSalty

Team Liquid Force
Which test kits are you guys/gals using? I have been using API tests but I have a feeling they are not as accurate as some other test kits. I have been concidering either Salifert are Lamotte kits, but damn are they expensive. If I do go this route, I will probably buy just the calcium kit. I will be adding some SPS soon, and I want to make sure that my calcium levels are stable.

Salifert are hands down, the best. I only use Salifert for my most important tests (nitrate and calcium). For the rest, I use API or Red Sea.

I use the API for the basic stuff.(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and pH)
Salifert for calcium,akalinity and phosphate which is more important to me.I do feel that I need to test more things but haven't gotten myself to actual buy them.

Salifert:
Calcium
Iodine
Phosphate
Alkalinity / dKH

API:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
pH

Who knows if any of them are accurate? Accurate compared to what? Is there a baseline liquid for calibration? Are any of us colorblind? If you're colorblind, you're hosed.

All you can do is buy the most recommended by other reefers and make sure you buy a newer kit that hasn't been sitting on the rack for 3yrs. Looking at your tank, or smelling a rock, will tell you more about the health of it than a test kit. With all the time I spend looking at my tank--ain't no spikes or chemistry problems gettin' past me. The term OCD comes to mind.

Last edited:
mostly api... and I think biff sent me some red sea, I'm not sure what they are. I just want a really bad ass tester that gives me a digital readout. I'm so terrible with color matching I always fight with myself on readings

Yeah the ones I sent you were Red Sea. Of the 'cheaper' test kits, I think API and Red Sea are the most accurate, although I have had bad nitrate test kits from both of them. Which is why I use a Salifert nitrate test kit.

Hey, like I said BEFORE, the only expensive tests I use are nitrate and calcium. All the rest I have are Red Sea also!!!

Besides, your roommate does such a great job of looking after your tank for you, what do you need me for anyways?? ;)

All I've ever use are the API kits.
But I take a sample in to the LFS at least once a month just be double sure.

Back