Test results again....

shanet1975

Reefing newb
I have been going through a cycle and my results were as follows for about 3 weeks.
Ammonia - 20 - 40
nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20
I tested 2 days ago and the ammonia had dropped to between the 0 and 20. I skipped a day of testing and tested last night and now I have 0 for ammonia and still 0 for nitrites. Would it have alsready gone from nitrites to nitrates that fast? Nitrates are still at 20 as well....
Thanks

Its very possible.
A lot of times the nitrites will go fast than the ammonia and nitrates.
Looks like your ready for a fish to me.

Mint.....Looks like I will definitely be heading to the lfs this weekend. My Clown fish is dying for a buddy :) He came with the setup and has survived through a long move from Boston (about 2 hours), then the cycling of the tank. Hopefully he/she will be nice to whoever I bring in...
Also think it's time for a little cleanup crew.
Now I see what everyone was saying when this is a bit of a pricey hobby.....

If you decided to get another clown, get the same "breed", and get one that is of a very different size than your existing clown. As small or as big as possible. If they are different sizes, they are unlikely to fight over dominance. The little one will be like, "Yep. Okay, you're bigger. No fight here!"

I thought it was completely against the rules to have to tomato clowns? So I could get a nemo or ocelera (sp) clown in there with him/her?

I got lucky. I have two different tyes of clowns. One is a Clarki and the other one is nemo type. They have paired up and gets along great. If you want two clowns get one bigger or smaller. They'll usally pair up if they're diffent sizes.

I would not do that if I would you.Piggy got very lucky,two different species of clowns should only be attempted in a very large system(125g and up).Still even in large tanks they is still a risk.Like Biff said get one larger or smaller within the same species as you have now.

if you are stretching for inches of fish, don't get another clown. They don't have to be paired. Best of luck to you. Be careful not to add more than one fish this week.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I have a 6 year old Tomato clown in there now. I really like he yellow tangs, but I hear they will eventually outgrow a 55 gallon tank. I'll figure something out...

yeah, yellow tangs need about 75 gallons or bigger. If you like the bright yellow, take a look at a yellow coris wrasse. I had a school of them at one time. They are great fish and are very active,

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I had a yellow tang in my 55 for a year and a half before I moved him to a larger tank. They grow too big for that size tank, it's true, but it does take a while for that to happen.

Back