Test Results

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I bought some API and Salifert test kits today.

The API test kit is the Master Kit. It includes:
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Also bought an API phosphate kit seperately.

Bought a KH/Alkalinity test from Salifert and a Calcium kit from Salifert.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :grumble:

Here are my results with the API Master test kit:
Ammonia 0-0.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
pH 8.0--8.2 +/- kinda hard to read the color chart

And my API phosphate kit shows 0 phosphates

So far, so good.................... I'm giggling. Then I break out the calcium, KH and alkalinity kits.

Calcium is 490 :shock:

KH is between 10.2--10.6 :shock:

Alkalinity is between 3.66--3.77 :shock:

Am I in trouble?

Last edited:
I have no idea.

The directions from Salifert say that alkalinity should be around 2.9
I'm between 3.6 and 3.77
So am I low or high?
How do I fix it?

Is that low or high?

I did a water change last night--BEFORE I got these test kits. I changed 6 gallons.

I don't really understand the KH and ALK tests.
What SHOULD it be in my tank?

I know how the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate works and how it cycles and goes up and down with bioloads. Got that part 20yrs ago when I was a kid doing salt tanks with undergravel filters, powerheads and canisters.

But testing for KH and ALK is new to me and I don't know what I should be looking at or how to fix a problem.

Do I have a problem?

I'm not too worried about the calcium. It's a little high, but my coraline should be absorbing that. I'll test my calcium every week now. I'd like it to be around 400-450.

Stressed. :grumble:

Thanks for the help.

That KH test can be read as DKH,which I like to keep between 9 and 12,but sometimes it hits 14 or 15.

Your calcium is ok too.Once you get coraline growing,you'll use up alot of that calcium and alkalinity.

yep, the 3-5 is a different scale of measurement. it think it's mql or something like that. when they go by the larger number it's the degree of hardness scale. so, you alk is where it needs to be at 9-12 deg.
i have allways been told to just ignore the kh and just watch the alk in saltwater. don't know how true that is. but it's what i have allways done. i hoped i explaned it where it makes since. heck, i can barely make it out and i'm the one that typed it.

KH will give you alkalinity in a DKH measurment.From what I understand,which aint much when it comes to chemestry.

That KH test can be read as DKH,which I like to keep between 9 and 12,but sometimes it hits 14 or 15.

Your calcium is ok too.Once you get coraline growing,you'll use up alot of that calcium and alkalinity.

Ahhh, so I am okay on dKH at 10.2--10.6 right now? Correct?

What about my alkalinity between 3.66--3.77? Salifert says that natural sea water is 2.9 -- so would I be LOW or HIGH at 3.66--3.77?

Are you saying that my alkalinity will go down with my calcium when my coraline starts to grow? Thats what it sounds like.

Do I need to change some water again? Or just sit back and enjoy my tank?

Thanks

Yeah,your tanks just fine.
Any LPS or SPS corals you grow will use both calcium and alkalinity.It takes both for the corals to build their skeletons.Plus coraline algae uses both.
So your good.Sit back,have a cold beer,and enjoy your tank.

Thanks Yote.

I'll have a beer for you too. :Cheers: I gotta quit worrying. It's just been so long since I was a kid and I'm not used to doing these soft fleshy things. All I ever had when I was a kid was fishies. Shrooms, zoas, anenomes was not something I could even dream of back then. So, now that I'm doing it, I guess I'm going through all the jitters of a newb again.

Thanks again. If it weren't covered in a brown algea bloom right now, I'd post some pics. It looks like :pooh: right now.

lol,If it helps,I still run a full range of tests every day and write them down.I'm paronid about my tank I reckon.

Back