Testing Equipment for those who are color blind

rdahlke1105

I'm a girl.
You know I ran into someone on nano-reefs that is color blind and running into an issue of testing with the API tests. He is having to run around and ask people in his apartment complex asking them what color the results are. So I started digging around to see what kind of digital testers are out there to help him out so he wouldn't have to keep doing this. So I figured there maybe individuals on this board who are having similar issues. I found these. I do think you would have to have them shipped in from England, but for those who can't see the test results, this may be the best option.

Hanna Ammonia - Nitrite - Nitrate - Water Test Meters

I would think it would, but I think you would have to make sure it got cleaned out after every use to make sure it doesn't corrode.

Usually, you would put the sample in a clear test tube. Atleast that was how the electronic testers I used in college were. You would contaminate the machine otherwise. Even with plain pond water.

I also wonder if they are sold on this side of the pond.

Not that I have seen, but I know a lot of manufacturers in England will ship to the US. I've done this before with other products.

Dr Fosters has the nitrate one and the phosphate one. around 200 a piece. Going from the pricing in pounds, I would think the one that does all of them would be around 5-600 if it was available. IMO, that would be a nice thing to have if you could spare the extra cash. But buying each for 200 would be a bit expensive.

I have a hanna PH tester. I hate that thing, I spend more time calibrating it than testing the water.

that's true of all pH meters, every brand. I've used at least 20 different types, and they're all like that.

most people are not color blind in all colors. It is common for males to be blue-green color blind, for example, where they can't distinguish blue and green from each other. If that's the case, this person can also investigate other brands of test kits for the tests he's having a hard time reading... not all test kits change colors in the same way.

Also, based on teaching many color blind students general chemistry, I know they can distinguish a change in color... like when you add drops for the API KH test kit, even color blind people generally see the shift from blue to pink. SO, again, other test kits may be based more on "number of drops added to get color change" than "what color is it after 5 minutes", so this person should ask around, and find tests that are either in the colors they can differentiate, or of the titration style (the # of drops kind).

Erin I just came up with these because there is a guy over on nano-reefs that is color blind and has to run around his apartment complex asking what color the test results are because he can't differentiate between the colors.

Back