Testing for Calcium & KH/Alk

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
Calcium was around 380 and KH was around 7.0

What do you suggest I do from here?
I picked up some AquaVitro "Calcification" but so far that's all I have.

Thanks!

for ideal coral conditions (meaning SPS and LPS corals) you want a tank with Cal count of closer to 450-500. DkH somewhere around 9-10. Seachem makes great products for dosing. If you use good salt (Oceanic, Kent, etc), you will not need to dose much at all. The blue bottle and the purple one are ones you want for dosing. Good Luck

-Doc

Thanks, Doc!

This is the salt I've been using so far... $42.49 at my LFS.

salt180_1.jpg

That's weird. I use Oceanic as well, there salt when mix at 1.026.5 or 35ppt should come out with the Cal at 580. I'd try doing more frequent water changes, with that brand, you shouldn't be down around 380 on Calk. But the Alk is close, the Alk for Oceanic should be at 8. Also try testing with a different test kit to make sure your's is right. With the Alk being close to right I wonder if it's just your test kit??

Here's a link to tested salts to help you.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1287118

If something it wrong with my calcium I will either used

1. Seachems Reef Advantage calcium
or
2. Driveway heat--cause it's cheaper.

2. Driveway heat--cause it's cheaper.
I would not use that until more is known about the elevated bromide that is now in ALL Dow calcium chloride products. No one knows if there are any long term or side effects from the high bromide. I would instead suggest getting either Kent TurboCalcium or calcium from Bulk Reef Supply (they are both the same thing).

But, I would have those #'s rechecked. Using Oceanic, your calcium should be way higher than 380.

First off I would check the numbers like everyone else said. If they are both low go to the grocery store and get some Mrs. Wages pickling lime. It is just kalk. Google kalk drip and you should be set.

d2mini, you can get a 5gal bucket of oceanic salt from drsfostersmith.com for about as much as that smaller jug. I order 2 buckets at a time and shipped to my door, they cost $89. So far I really like not dosing calcium daily, just a little dkh builder and kalk once or twice a week.

Check your magnesium.
I've noticed that is my magnesium falls below 1300,then my calcium level falls right along with it.And I use Oceanic salt too.
Hell,the way my calciums been going,I'd be thrilled with 380.

Ok, thanks guys. I just got back in to town but was keeping track of this thread on my iphone. I'll do some re-tests and thanks for the link on the salt. The price I paid was typical for lfs around here but expected to pay less online. But man, that drs price is REALLY cheap!

ccCapt, You are right about the driveway heat. I forgot about that point. I've never used it myself but know a bunch who do. Pickling lime would be the best bet in that case. Sorry about that.

And Yote you are correct there. God, I posted and forgot everything important! That's why I use the Mag flakes, to try and keep my Mag above 1300.

If you can get it around this you should be fine:

Calk----450 to 500
Alk----9--11
Mag---1300---1350

These three must be kept close or they will always flux's around, one being higher and the other not climbing up.

Back