testing kits

darrenahenson

Reefing newb
What is everyones preferrence with testing kits for saltwater? I currently use API but find that the colors are too similar to tell a difference.

I also have noticed a little bit of oil on the top water of my tank since I removed the HOB filter. I have 30 lbs of live rock and live sand. I also am using a Korilia 550 and 425 for flow. Any suggestions?

What is everyones preferrence with testing kits for saltwater? I currently use API but find that the colors are too similar to tell a difference.
You will find that it would be the case for most test kits that use color comparison sheets. There are certain shades of colors that I could not even tell apart with those kits.
Titration kits would be a good alternative as the sample water changes significantly from start and end point (example: red turns to blue, blue turns to yellow, etc)
The best option would be digital meters but they are on the high end of the price range.

I also have noticed a little bit of oil on the top water of my tank since I removed the HOB filter. I have 30 lbs of live rock and live sand. I also am using a Korilia 550 and 425 for flow. Any suggestions?
This buildup on the surface are some of the organic waste that are attracted to the interface between air and water. This is the same principle that allows skimmers to pull out a lot of organic waste from reef tanks.

Are you using a skimmer on your setup? If you do, then you could position one of the powerheads to increase the surface agitation so the organic waste on the surface mixes in again with the water to be pulled by the skimmer.

Thanks for the reply. It's a 30 gallon tank with 30 lbs of love rock and love substrate. No slimmer and I took the hob filter off. Woke this morning and a fish died. Don't know what to do......

For a tank that small, I would do a 10 gallon water change when a fish dies - specially since you do not have a skimmer.

On a regular basis I would think that a 5 gallon water change every week would suffice, unless you are overstocked.

This is not set in stone, and you will need to gauge the tank's response to your water changes and increase/decrease the volume or frequency as needed.

Back