Testing testing.. one two three!

chipmunkofdoom2

Reefing newb
I'm in need of a new test kit. I had a Red Sea, but I 've been reading that Red Sea kits = gay.. any recommendations?

Also, what should I be testing for? I know at the very least I need to test pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and probably alkalinity. I want to have corals soon (probably just mushrooms and other simple softies), so I'm thinking I should also get a test for Ca and hardness... any input? Thanks all!

if you want to start with corals then i would test for pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, alk, ca, magnesium. and sera, salifert are good. since i know you dont have a lot of money drs.fosterandsmith.com is having a one week sale on all test kits this week

since i know you dont have a lot of money...

Hahah, too damn true unfortunately. That's why I was asking, I was browsing their site and I saw they were having a sale so I figured now would be an opportune time to get a new kit.

Now, as far as alkalinity goes, that's really the only type of hardness I have to test for right? Whenever I try to read about GH, KH and alkalinity, my tiny brain can't understand why the hell they have so many different terms for what is essentially the same damn thing, haha.

I have to agree the Red Sea ones suck. After I finished using most of the ones I had I switched to Salifest or Seachem. I'm happy with them.

The best CHEAP kits are the API kits.But you know how cheap works.
Just forget that they even sale a GH test kit.Its for general hardness which is for freshwater.Alkalinity and KH are both basically the same.Except the KH gives you the results in German degrees of hardness,which is DKH.

I picked up the API kit that has ph, nitrate, nitrate and ammonia.
That's all that's needed in the beginning.
As those run out I'll replace them one by one with Salifert or Elos.

Use the API for the basic pH,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate.I can't think of reason to spending alot more for those basic test.Calcium and akalinity use the better Salifert or Elos kits.

Back