Testing

Ryan

Reefing newb
I've been using the Quick Dip strip with six different tests in it. Do I need to get something else or is this pretty accurate?

I use Salifert for all my tests. You should have at least pH and nitrate. If you are keeping stoney corals and want to have coralline growing, you will need calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and phosphate.

I use my aquacontrollerjr to keep up with my PH and temp.Been using seachem for calcium,but just going to give LaMotte a try pretty soon.Got Tropicmarin for alkalinity.
I dont test for phosphates,because 99.9% of the dropper kits will only pick up orthophosphates.I just run phos-guard on a regular basis instead.

API is great for the price. I am currently using salifert for calcium and Seachem for DKH. I am happy with the salifert but hate the Seachem.

Next time I purchase a test kit it will be lamotte.

The dip sticks are good to get a ballpark estimate, but they are far from accurate. Any kind of droplet test will be more accurate than the dip stick tests. I usually keep the sticks on hand to do routine testing, and if something looks out of whack, I double check it with a liquid test.

There are highly accurate electronic devices that can test just about all the chemicals and you could easily spend a grand on them. (Foster and Smith sells them). Has anyone compared the the dropper tests with more, scientifically accurate devices?

There are highly accurate electronic devices that can test just about all the chemicals and you could easily spend a grand on them. (Foster and Smith sells them). Has anyone compared the the dropper tests with more, scientifically accurate devices?

Not yet,But will be on my next tank.

This is what I call a cost - benefit analysis. The cost is more than the benefit.

That all depends Lights.
I'm planning on getting a photometer for phosphates.Only because the dropper kits dont pick up organic phosphates,and those build up just like nitrates.

The strips are good only for nitrates. everything else is usally off.

As for test kits, aim for something decent like salifert or elos.

Back