That Was Close!!

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
I just missed getting squirted in the eye, from a zoanthid, by about 1" :shock:

I bought some frags recently, and I wanted to trim a bit of the frag rock away, so I could get them down into a tight spot and secure them a little tighter. My snails are mowing over my frags and turning them over.

So, I got this frag in my hand. I'm hanging onto the rock with one hand, and a pair of needlenose pliers in the other hand. I am holding the frag about 1/2" under water. I pull the frag out of the water and quickly place it over a bucket. Grab one side with the pliers and start breaking chunks off the rock to reduce it's size. Making damn sure I don't nick or squeeze a zoa.

All of a sudden, this zoa squirts a shot of something straight up and it hits me in the cheek, just under my eye. SOOOOOOO glad I had my glasses on. Not safety glasses, but better than nuthin'

I put the frag back in the tank and ran off to the bathroom to rinse the "juice" off my face. Felt a little slimy. Rinsed it with water for about 10 minutes.

HOLY COW!! That was close. I'm gonna have to start wearing safety glasses. It only takes a nanosecond for one of these little buggers to slime ya.
That would have sucked to get that in my eye:goodnight

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that only a specific kind -- Palythoas -- carry the palyotoxin (which is why it's named PALYotoxin). Regular old zoanthids don't.

I honestly don't know. I thought they were all dangerous, to some degree. So, you can imagine my shock when it squirted. :shock:

I didn't get numb under my eye, but it is twitching now. Rapid, but very mild twitching. Not enough to make my whole eye open and close. Just rapid (400 twitches per minute?) but very mild.

It was more on the front of my cheekbone, right next to my nose and under my eye. None on my eyelid or in my eye. Did get some on my glasses.

I'm afraid to put soap on it. Don't want to run hot water and open the pores. I've rinsed it 3 times in cold water with 3 different washrags. I'll be fine.

Almost :pooh: my pants though.

lol, i bet you wear safety glasses next time !! the twitching should go away on its own, but i have heard of it taking DAYS to completely go back to normal if it gets IN you eyes. i wish i could tell you something to do, but i have never been it that boat.

i would scrub the area with with soap and cold water just to remove anything that you can.

I think I'm gonna live. It's kinda funny NOW, but at the time, my heart rate jumped from the usual 65bpm to about 140bpm. I think I got 99% of it off within a few seconds.

I can get safety glasses from work. But, I still haven't got a pair of gloves yet. Been searching for a good set that will go all the way up to my armpit. My tank is so deep--I find myself going in almost up to my bicep on a regular basis.

What is this obsession I have with putting my hands in the tank?
I'm always adjusting or cleaning a powerhead. Always moving a rock to wedge it in tighter or adjust the angle for better light on a coral. I just can't keep my hands outta the darn tank.

I'm always adjusting or cleaning a powerhead. Always moving a rock to wedge it in tighter or adjust the angle for better light on a coral. I just can't keep my hands outta the darn tank.

If you get that cured,Please fill me in.
I cant even walk by mine with out touching something.

it is called PASSION !! i think everyone that has decided to stick it out through a couple of bad exp. has it. you stick your hands in there because you want to create the BEST possible environment for your critters. just my opinion but that is what i think.

If you get that cured,Please fill me in.
I cant even walk by mine with out touching something.

I keep white hand towels under the tank. I made a rack on the inside of the door--similar to a paper towel rack. I hang the towel on that. I'm always wiping the front glass down after drying my hands. My wife is so cool, she picks up the towel every 2 or 3 days and washes it. Puts a clean one on the rack.

I'm the same way Rc.
The wife keeps a fresh towel laying on my bucket of salt.
The bucket is always in front of the tank,cause thats where I sit when I'm watching it.

Back