the 210 gallon in wall project

Ive had the same experience as GG, my cleaner shrimp is so active and cleans any hand that goes in the tank. Makes for a real spectacle when my friends come around. He was INCREDIBLY expensive though. Which is putting me off getting my second.

i havent checked with the lfs yet, but i did look on swfish.com just to read a little about them and they had them listed for like $20 each...

Yeah, I payed $20 for mine. And, like ggNoRe and Jmck's cleaner shrimp, mine is the most social critter in my tank - He's out all day cleaning around the tank. He also cleans my hand and anything new I add to the tank, and he's a big eater at feeding time. Like GG's, my shrimp can hold a ton of food in his hands. When I tried Melev's Mandarin Diner trying to use a glass jar with food in it to target feed my mandarin, my shrimp bullied the mandarin right out of the way, went in the jar, and carried ALL of the food out of it!! He looked like a hamster with its cheeks stuffed with food!

My favorite thing about him though is that he cleans both my goby and mandarin - which is adorable! My goby even lets him clean inside of his mouth - So Awesome!!! :mrgreen:

got all energetic today and re-arranged the middle of the tank... added the latest batch of my home made rock to help build it up some... you can really see it cause its so white and fresh and new...

also uncaged the xenias... so, we'll see what happens... hopefully no one will eat them this time....

pics are a little cloudy cause of the re-arranging and mostly cause of the purple up i dosed a little while ago....

also got a real farm of feather dusters in the left front corner of the thank... its kinda cool to see something thriving and spreading that's not algae... hehehehe

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 258
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 227
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 244
no, no i don't, I've been putting it off cause i feed the tank through the front, so I've been trying to come up with a really nifty way to make that still possible with what i already have built.... hinges, Velcro, hmmmmm

how about putting the top piece of trim on some sort of flush mounted rail that you can easily slide up, lock into place, and then slide back down when you're done. I watched you make all that other stuff, that should only take you 5 minutes. :D

You do know that you have an entire room behind your tank that you can drop food in from right?:D

how about putting the top piece of trim on some sort of flush mounted rail that you can easily slide up, lock into place, and then slide back down when you're done. I watched you make all that other stuff, that should only take you 5 minutes. :D

You do know that you have an entire room behind your tank that you can drop food in from right?:D

Yes but then hes gotta crank the crank to raise his lights :mrgreen:

But really why not some sort of L-bracket that the top piece can just hang on then you just remove it real quick when you feed?

yea, hmm, ok, well, cranking the lights up to feed is a PITA... i gotta motorize that... but the honey do list just keeps getting longer and longer and i'm working on it most every day...

i dunno yet.. i like the bracket idea... actually a buddy of mine suggested a french cabinet door hinge... hidden, and would work in that small space... maybe.. have to measure the hinges.. but that is kinda the direction i'm thinking of going with it...

oh, so... i come home today after spending the day running errands and taking a friend to the airport.. and my xenias are GONE... well, there is a little grey lump where the foot was... clearly eat'n off of... so, as i suspected theres something in the tank that finds xenias tastey... gonna fix that!

Ideas of who it is are welcome...
its not the eel, cause he's dead......
its prolly not the sandsifting starfish....
might be the red spikey starfish... i'm still not able to recall what kind it is.....
might be crabs...
prolly not the nass or turbo snails....
prolly not the foxface.....
prolly not either of the clowns....
prolly not either of the banghi's
so that leaves the purple headed damsels, which i've seen the smaller of the two of them actually swim diagonally through the eggcrate and go inside the cage with the xenias and they werent getting eat'n so i dont think its them....

to be honest, i really think that its either jarhead.. the black and white verticle striped "damsel"i still question what kind of fish he really is, or i think it might be the yellow backed "damsel" another one i question

ideas?

Attachments

• photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 224
  • photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 214
  • photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 219
I don't think it's anyone. I think the xenia suddenly melted away, as they tend to do in a lot of tanks. (I'm being serious -- sometimes they just disappear for no apparent reason).

Didn't you just uncage those things yesterday? Damn..

My foxface has never touuched or even looked at my Xenia. But I guess it's possible. We know it's not the cardinal, because if it was he'd still be hovering over where they used to be.:D

I'm having a hard time accepting that they melted in this situation. When I first put them in the tank I saw that suddenly the next day they looked as tho they had been bitten. So I caged them. They grew back. I uncage them and they are "eat'n ". Just seems like more than just a coincidence.

I'm with daugherty on this one. Bait the hook and sit and wait. Keep us informed! I wanna find out who's the culprit.

no i'm not sure, but the guy that i got the starfish from (that starfish is from my original 75gal) he was very knowledgable about what he had, and he said it was a knobby starfish... but.... maybe thats not right..... i really dont know... next time i see him out, i'll get out the new lenses and see what i can do about getting some really good pictures... but heres one i have from the past.....

Attachments

• Img_0628  s.jpg
    Img_0628 s.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 215
Back